Rear window washer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear window washer?

TomCat_Ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Hey guys-

The rear washer sprayer does not appear to be working on my 98. When I press the button, I hear it trying to spray (the vacuum like sound), but nothing is coming out. It appears that the spray nozzle is on the wiper arm. Is there something I can check? I would like to get this working, as the roads will be getting really cruddy in the next month or so, and having a functioning rear sprayer will be nice. The front sprayers work perfectly, if that matters any.

Thanks.

-TomCat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There isn't a separate tank on the '98. The rear washer gets its fluid from the main tank under the hood. They were separate on the earlier models, but there is no tank in the rear on this one.

Check the hose that goes to the rear sprayer?

Check the nozzle head? Maybe it's clogged. Take a pin to the opening and poke it.

After further inspection, I noticed a little nipple on the backside of the wiper arm that looked like it could be used to hold something in place. I removed the sprayer nozzle and saw an indent on the inside of the mount... so I simply reinstalled it in its correct position, and it now works. The line must have been kinked due to the nozzle being in the incorrect location.

check it out

If you only have one tank like my 98 there are 2 relay in the front under the air cleaner the 2 left one are for the front and the right one is for the rear try changing the right one this has a reverseable motor for the fluid

Back