Rear Window Wiper

yojimboryuu

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' Eddie Bauer
Hello Everyone :)

I had a quick question about my back window / window wiper on my 98' Explorer Sport.

Part 1:

The wiper will not wipe the entire back of the window, there are two spots, one at the top and one at the bottom in the center of the window where the wiper is suppose to wipe it. I have replaced the wiper probably about 20 times in the last 5 years and no matter what I replace it with, it never wipes those two spots.

Part 2:

The window always moves itself to the right. When looking from the outside you can see the latches at the top facing towards the right and on the left you see the inside frame. It hasn't leaked yet, but I was wondering what is causing this and how to fix it. This might be related to why the window is not fully wiped.

Thanks for all of your help. :)

:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For part 1, there are lots of posts here about it. Seems like a standard prob. A lot of guys seem to have fixed it with after market wiper moter replacement. Mine is the same way, but haven't gotten around to fixing it.

I had the same problem with the rear window wiper. After Ford fixing it twice and an aftermarket motor replacement I decided to pull it all out. It rattled too much with the stereo anyhow. I had problems with the hinges too, I ended up driling through the hinge and putting carriage bolts with lock nuts.

rear wiper problem

Ford has a replacement arm for the rear wiper arm that corrects this problem.

Ford has a replacement arm for the rear wiper arm that corrects this problem.

Do you have a part # or know where I can get this???

If you call the service department and told them your rear wiper is forcing the window off its hinges, I'd bet they'd want to see you right away (and it does sound like a defect) And if they ask you to explain by phone, I wouldn't. I'd just bring it in, time permitting. My response would be, "Pay??? Me?? I didn't cause this, and it isn't manipulation caused by time or wear; or is it?. This is a major incident just waiting to happen." It's drama, but hey... you might get free parts and service. This is not legal advice.

If you call the service department and told them your rear wiper is forcing the window off its hinges, I'd bet they'd want to see you right away (and it does sound like a defect) And if they ask you to explain by phone, I wouldn't. I'd just bring it in, time permitting. My response would be, "Pay??? Me?? I didn't cause this, and it isn't manipulation caused by time or wear; or is it?. This is a major incident just waiting to happen." It's drama, but hey... you might get free parts and service. This is not legal advice.

I don't think he is saying the wiper and the window going to the right is related.

On the window the latch screws probably need tightening. They take a torx bit I forget which size though. Just align the window in the middle, open it and tighten the screws some.

Part 2, final sentence: The question is asked if the two are related.

Part 2, final sentence: The question is asked if the two are related.

You were talking about the wiper forcing the window off of it's hinges and about calling the service department. I don't think the two are related though.

Point taken...

You were talking about the wiper forcing the window off of it's hinges and about calling the service department. I don't think the two are related though.

I see what you mean, however two things are occurring and it appears one is causing or leading to the other. It could be fixed at home I agree, but it could be that some type of failure in one of the components is going lead to possibly that glass dropping out. If the repair is made at home and later the hinges fail, I would be uncomfortable knowing I was responsible and had the opportunity to prevent it.

Also, it sounds like there is some sort of pressure in the region that might be forcing both the glass and the wiper to shift...

I see what you mean.

I've taken off the rear windows off and put them back on. And removed installed and messed with the rear wipers. I don't think there's anything wrong with the hinges I think just the screws that attach the window to them are a little loose. The screws don't hold the windows on terribly tight. You can walk up to any 2nd gen Explorer and shift the back window from side to side. And then the separate issue of the funky wiper arm.

The og poster checked out, but noted that it's a 98, but the problem began in 2002. I would be curious to know more about that because eons ago I had a 96 2wd sport for 7 years and never had any of those problems. Now, I see you both live in MD where it gets pretty cold, as I'm in CA, it doesn't. I would be inclined to think the problem might be caused by contracting components... however, TerryS mentions he had the same issue, but is in LA - I don't know the climate there, but I think it does get pretty warm and humid there, expansion... that situation was resolved using reinforcement. It sounds like you all are dealing with contracting and expanding parts... all of the posters so far are in areas of climate swings...

Except Larry in Elk Grove there... but he didn't mention the window hinges.

Your '96 still had a flat rear window unlike the '98 and up 2nd gens which are curved so it was much easier for the wiper arm to make the blade contact the window than on the newer ones trying to push it around a curved window. I wouldn't be surprised if the curved windows also contributes more to the window shifting also.

I would add that we rarely used the rear wiper, so if it were having issues I wouldn't have noticed. (You made good points there. I have to get a picture of my 96 and look at it again, I always thought the window was curved) So, then you believe the wiper is the main issue causing the problems?

If my window is flat, I'll laugh because I remember it as being curved. I'll post a pic... That was my favorite of the 3 exs, 7 years and it never left me stranded, it started every time I turned the key, except one time when the battery died, I think.

Well really I believe the curved window is causing the issues. At first they used the same wiper arms that your '96 had but the spring in them aren't strong enough to push the blade around the curved window so they came out with the newer arm that has a stronger spring. Sometimes just bending the arm in will work which puts more tension on the spring in the wiper arm. The window shifting I believe is a separate issue. The window being curved probably makes it want to shift more somehow more than the flat windows.

And you are correct...

Well really I believe the curved window is causing the issues. At first they used the same wiper arms that your '96 had but the spring in them aren't strong enough to push the blade around the curved window so they came out with the newer arm that has a stronger spring. Sometimes just bending the arm in will work which puts more tension on the spring in the wiper arm. The window shifting I believe is a separate issue. The window being curved probably makes it want to shift more somehow more than the flat windows.

My 96 window is as flat as a pancake :eek:

(I can't find the pic, only one with the wife in it.)

For the wiper issue, click the link in my signature for my gallery and view the 'Explorer Rear Wiper Mod' pics. The fingers on the hinge prevent the arm from flexing at the joint. A replacement motor will have zero impact on it as it's the bracket the motor mounts to that *sometimes* flexes. You can bend it back, but that won't solve the problem long-term.

Since modifying my wiper arm back in '00, I haven't missed a swipe yet.

-Joe

you can do what I did :D

IMG_1161.jpg

No motor
No problem :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back