rear wiper blade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear wiper blade

kh0432

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Anybody know a trick to get the rear wiper blade to make contact in the center? No mater which brand or style I try ( beam or standard) the blade misses the window in the center of the blade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody know a trick to get the rear wiper blade to make contact in the center? No mater which brand or style I try ( beam or standard) the blade misses the window in the center of the blade.

if your problem is that the wiper blade misses the glass in the middle of its sweep, i've found the issue isn't the motor, or the arm, but that the motor doesn't stay straight in its mounts. this is because of 2 design problems...

1. the rubber motor mounts are too soft and allow the spring tension of the wiper arm, against the glass, to push the motor out of alignment.

2. the thin sheet metal of the inner lift-gate allows the wiper motor to twist on its mounts.

if you look at where the snout of the wiper motor protrudes through the lift-gate (through the rubber sleeve thing) you'll notice it appears to be pushed to the left, instead of being centered and straight. this is what causes the wiper blade to miss the center of the glass during its sweep.

i've seen this on all 4 of my Explorers/Mountaineers. i've had some success shimming the right-most motor mount to center the wiper motor.

You are lucky :)
I'll try one too.

Back