• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper problem on a 1994

coloradobound

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Tacoma Dcab
Well, I have a 1994 XLT 4 door, and the rear wiper won't work. I flip the switch and nothing happens. The washer part works, but not the wiper. I'd say its not the fuse since according to the manual, they use the same fuse. So any ideas? Help would be appreciated. If it is the motor, can it be fixed? How hard to replace? Cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just for the heck of it, have you turned on the switch then gone out and yanked up on it, sounds silly but i know mine gets stuck every once in a while :hammer:
todd

When I bought my 91 the rear wiper didnt work either. I just turned on the switch and got out and gave it a little push and lo and behold it worked. I gave it a shot of WD40 and have had no prob since:D

They also had some probs w/ the plastic gearing they used on the rear wipers. Check int that or run a search on the subject! Hope that helps.

If you flip the switch and there is no noise it is probably an electrical problem. If you flip it and there is a groaning or clicking noise that means the plastic drive gear is stripped. I just replaced mine last weekend and a used wiper motor from a wrecker cost me $90 canadian so probably be $60 american.
The gear could easily be replaced however why would Ford sell a 20 cent part when they can sell you a new wiper motor for $200? The whole operation only takes 20 minutes to rip off and replace once the back gate interior is taken off. Good Luck!

Any idea on where besides a salvage yard to get a new motor? How much? How involved to replace yourself? How to get panel off the tailgate, etc.

Before you replace the motor, check the window switch. There is a button switch inside the panel near where the latch mechanism is. If the switch is bad you can unplug it and the wiper will work. be careful though, so you don't run the wiper with the window open.

i had this same problem last week...i just kinda wiggled the wiper a bit and it started working again...duno what was wrong, but its still working. hope that helps

Dead Link Removed

I think this info may be helpful, haven't needed to do it myself though.

Maybe this is related to the problem I had - the wiper ran sometimes even when switched off. I opened the back panel and cleaned and reseated all the connections. It's been working fine for the past year.

Back