• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper problem.

stacypeters26

Reaction score
City, State
kansas city, mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer XLT
I have a 98 ford Explorer XLT. I replaced rear wiper motor and rear wiper control switch. But rear wiper still does not work !!:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check your fuses or relays?

Just like someone already said check your fuses and relays. The relays are under the hood in the power distribution box.

Does the motor come on at all? Is the wiper arm trying to move but getting caught on the bottom lip of the rear window/hatch and then stops? Are you able to turn it on and then go back and lift the wiper blade up above the bottom lip of the window and then it starts? These were symptoms I had and I was able to repair it. If you have these symptoms, I can share with you what I did and it now works.

Try double checking the door switches in the glass. Mine stopped working for a while (a couple of months) and then started working again, still haven't figured out why!

yeah try the safety switch for the rear window like previosly mentioned it on the latch

Thank you guys, I was having the same problem. and it was the safety switch for the rear window. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out.

I'm having this problem currently. Where is the safety switch? Was it something you were able to fix? Or did you replace it entirely?

thanks!

Does the motor come on at all? Is the wiper arm trying to move but getting caught on the bottom lip of the rear window/hatch and then stops? Are you able to turn it on and then go back and lift the wiper blade up above the bottom lip of the window and then it starts? These were symptoms I had and I was able to repair it. If you have these symptoms, I can share with you what I did and it now works.

Hey Crunchie_frog,

I have the exact symptoms you wrote about. Do you care to share your fix?

I recently replaced my rear motor due to it being stripped within, and now that the motor works I have another problem, my wiper does not contact the entire wipe section on the glass, it touches on the bottom and that's all, and when I bend the arm it causes another problem of getting stuck under the rear glass, and I lowered the glass closer to the latch and it still catches. Is the arm actually bent out of shape? The arm tension spring seems to lock and not let the wiper press on the glass like a design flaa...

REDREX said:
I recently replaced my rear motor due to it being stripped within, and now that the motor works I have another problem, my wiper does not contact the entire wipe section on the glass, it touches on the bottom and that's all, and when I bend the arm it causes another problem of getting stuck under the rear glass, and I lowered the glass closer to the latch and it still catches. Is the arm actually bent out of shape? The arm tension spring seems to lock and not let the wiper press on the glass like a design flaa...

red....I have the same problem.... Waiting for someone to reply...... Seems like the motor is **** eyed and only touching the one part of the glass when it wipes...

Spray the arm where it hinges with WD-40. It is very common for them to get sticky.
You will need to move it back and forth to work it in.

I put lubricant and worked it in. It worked! Thanks

I had the same problem and unfortunately WD-40 didn't fix it. The blade just wasn't wiping with enough pressure. There is a TSB out for this. I replaced the arm per the TSB, and voila it works as it should. I also had another problem where the wiper motor would work intermittently - the factory dielectric grease inside the motor degrades over time - I disassembled the motor, wiped the grease off the board, reapplied new dielectric grease, and that cleared up the issue. It's nice having a rear wiper in the rain again.

How do you get to the motor? I tried to remove the back panel of the lift gate but was afraid to snap off tabs? And where did you get a replacement wiper arm? Thanks in advance

How do you get to the motor? I tried to remove the back panel of the lift gate but was afraid to snap off tabs? And where did you get a replacement wiper arm? Thanks in advance

You have to remove the back panel. I wasn't so gentle with it and did end up snapping off two tabs IIRC. I don't have any rattling issues now though, and it is still holding together. Call Tousley Ford and order a new arm part # XL2Z-17526-AA. Be sure to ask for the "Focal Jet" discount.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the wiper arm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back