• Register Today It's free!

rear wiper problem

gyoung

Reaction score
City, State
menasha wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
I am confused and need some help. I replaced the rear wiper motor on 2001 exp sport. The motor works fine, but from the home position the wiper arm catches underneath the window glass. If I bump it up on the glass, all is fine. Not sure what is up with this, but it may explain why the last motor went out on it. I just recently purchased the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bend the arm outward

mine does this. I have a '99 sport, the rear door is a little different but basically the same. If you bend the arm out (I've tried many different ways) your probably just gonna end up with about 2"-3" of surface contact on the rear glass. Not really much help if your trying to see out. My best advice would be just to keep the rear window really clean. I'm sure some of the really knowledgeable people on here though can walk you through a process that will magically work. I'm new here but from what I have read the past week or so they really know their stuff.

Updated wiper arm assembly?

I haven't spent the money but our local Ford Dealer told us there is an updated wiper arm to address this issue. Does anyone know if this is true?

Ours, if bent so it clears the glass, does a horrible job wiping the glass. But bent to do a good sweep and it jams where edge of the glass starts.

I haven't spent the money but our local Ford Dealer told us there is an updated wiper arm to address this issue. Does anyone know if this is true?

Ours, if bent so it clears the glass, does a horrible job wiping the glass. But bent to do a good sweep and it jams where edge of the glass starts.

Yes, I've read that here before.
Also, I think there's a thread about modifying the existing one, but I don't know how well that works.

The one on my Ex has been changed years ago, but I think it's one that was meant to go on a different vehicle as the tab doesn't line up exact.

no need to buy the upgrades arm for $30 just modify the arm its easy. there are 2 tabs on the back of the pivot point that you need to cut off and this will allow the blade to hit all of the window. bend the are enough to clear the glass when it sits in the cradle i have experienced all of these things. when you read the tutorial onhow to mod the arm is says to cut the tabs a little i tried that and i didnt do much so i went back and cut most of the tab off and it works awesome now. i cant find the thread that show pics i will post if i can find

what tabs? It looks like the tabs may have already been cut? Or I'm looking at the wrong tabs.

in those pics the tabs are cut down compare to you ones you will see yours are longer cut like half and inch or so

It works great.

I Moto-tooled the tabs down on the wiper arm. Then bent the arm out so it sits slightly away from the glass. It sweeps the whole glass and doesn't miss a spot, and doesn't jam. Great tip. Much appreciated.

Back