Rear wiper sucks!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper sucks!!!

Yup, that's what I filed down. Only curved pieces I could find that fit your description. I didn't grind them down much at all and the difference was noticeable right away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys for the information and for the pictures. Now I see what must be done.

Jerry

Did anyone who did this use a sanding file? I don't have a dremel and worry about hitting the fluid line.

There's no reason you couldn't.... heck, for that matter, a heavy duty pair of side-cutters might work too, but it'd take a lot of oomph.

I'd be more worried about hitting the paint with the file than the dremel. It you're nervous, flip up the plastic cover, remove the nut, and take the whole arm off. Then there's no chance of anything getting scratched that shouldn't. :)

Or (and I offer this to anyone that's interested) ship it to me with enough funds to ship it back (or a pre-paid return label), and I'll be happy to do it for ya, free of charge. :) :)

-Joe

gijoecam said:
There's no reason you couldn't.... heck, for that matter, a heavy duty pair of side-cutters might work too, but it'd take a lot of oomph.

I'd be more worried about hitting the paint with the file than the dremel. It you're nervous, flip up the plastic cover, remove the nut, and take the whole arm off. Then there's no chance of anything getting scratched that shouldn't. :)

Or (and I offer this to anyone that's interested) ship it to me with enough funds to ship it back (or a pre-paid return label), and I'll be happy to do it for ya, free of charge. :) :)

-Joe

I'll give it a whirl this weekend but if I can't get it to work I'll take you up on that offer, may even include a little extra for a six-pack of beer or something.

Thanks

I was just browsing the forum when i found this, and to think, the dealership desperatly wanted to charge me for a new blade... i was jsut going to open the hatch and try to rig up a couple of thumbscrews so i could tweak the angle of the motor. but this is more my kind of work, fast and easy.

Score a Dremel. They come in many shapes and sizes and fit most budgets. Just score the unit itself. Most of the more expensive kits come with accessories you might not even need.

By far one of the best tool purchases I ever made. So useful for so many tasks.

celly said:
Score a Dremel. They come in many shapes and sizes and fit most budgets. Just score the unit itself. Most of the more expensive kits come with accessories you might not even need.

By far one of the best tool purchases I ever made. So useful for so many tasks.

Is yours air powered or electric?

BrianV said:
Is yours air powered or electric?

Air powered? Does it come with some sort of straw that you blow into? :D

Mine is rechargeable. Li Ion battery holds a good charge and no memory effect. I scored it with a carrying case and a ton of accessories at Walmart for around $100 Canadian. I like it a lot.

celly said:
Air powered? Does it come with some sort of straw that you blow into? :D

Mine is rechargeable. Li Ion battery holds a good charge and no memory effect. I scored it with a carrying case and a ton of accessories at Walmart for around $100 Canadian. I like it a lot.

Most shops use air tools like the impact wrench. If you go into any body shop you'll notice that they all use air powered dremels. Serious home auto mechanics buy an air compressor so they can use air tools; for instance my uncle uses all air tools. For some reason when I picture a dremel, I picture an air-based one. Glad to hear there are good electrical ones out there.

the air powered ones are called die grinders, and i dont think they spin as fast as a dremel.

I'm not a serious home mechanic anyhow. Battery powered Dremel suits my needs as do most hand powered tools.

yeah, and no noisy compressor either.

i just did this fix before work since its raining. it almost worked, the wiper got 75% of the window instead of 25%. but i have to go unpark it by hand since it gets caught under the glass, not cool at 50mph. a little bend and its back to the way it was. looks like mines just not destined to work right.

If it's getting caught on the glass, bend the arm away from the glass between the finger and the wiper. That'll let it ride the finger down the ramp farther before it makes contact with the glass. If it's still not making contact with the glass, simply trim the fingers a little bit further.

Good luck!

Need to replace my wiper motor too

gijoecam said:
Time for a new motor. One screw next to the latch (under the cover), two screws in the handle, push the trim towards the roof, (duck!!), three screws in the mounting bracket, two screws that hold the motor to the bracket, and one plug. The whole job takes all of 15 minutes the first time, 10 or less the second on-up.

I've been running a 16" blade on mine since the first time I had to replace it. (close to 7 years now) It works just fine. :)

-Joe

Joe, I'm interested in your instructions in replacing the rear wiper motor. It seems that mine has a mind of it own. Works some days, not on others. I figure there is a loose connection somewhere so I need to get at it but haven't the foggiest on how to do that.

You say "One screw next to the latch (under the cover), two screws in the handle". Where are these screws, do they hold the inside door trim to the door?

Sorry Joe, found my answer on another post. :rolleyes:

No prob-lem-o! Glad I could help LOL!!

The "nibs" were probably meant to keep the metal part of blade from destroying the rear glass if the rubber "squegee" edge disintegrated. They are probably just a little too beefy on some cars. My blade works perfectly, even though is is the original, and got a coat of black paint on it last year when I painted the arm.

New trick since grinding down the nibs didn't work for me.

Bend the wiper arm towards the glass.

Can't see the picture of the nubbs, can someone repost this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New trick since grinding down the nibs didn't work for me.

Bend the wiper arm towards the glass.

Yup, that works great. Did it a year ago and still works fine. No tools neded, just bend the arm....

Back