How to: - Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has a video of the Shiftster. If you install one, don't forget to plug the hole in the transfer case where the shift motor speed sensor goes.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Agony and the ecstacy of being a gearhead.

I'm back! Finally fixed it! First I was too busy, then it got super cold, then I got sick, then it got super cold again. I caught Bronchitis. Nasty. Next best thing to pneumonia. It left me with no energy for weeks. I lost about 5 pounds, too. My Focus SES low profile tires aren't so good in snow, and we've had plenty here in NJ.

Anyway, last Sunday I finally finished fixing the shift motor. First I had to get the screws out of the gear case cover. Broke 2 torx bits and didn't want to break a third. One screw came out OK. I used a Dremel tool with cut-off wheel to make slots in the other 2 screw heads so that I could use a screwdriver bit in my hand-operated impact tool. One more screw came out cleanly, the other one sheared off, naturally. I had to grind and drill out the broken screw and re-tap the hole (8-32). I had repaired the shift motor once before with a piece of rubber fuel line, but the rubber was soft and over time it deteriorated and got pinched and cut against the stop. This time I used a better quality fuel line. I also replaced the cover screws with stainless steel ones and used a lot of anti-seize grease. :hammer:

Reinstalled the shift motor, said a short prayer, then pushed the 4X4 button... Ka-ching! 4-wheel drive! Push the other button... Whirrr... Kaching! 4WD low! Test drove it around the block a couple of times. All good.

I planned to drive her to work on the following Monday. Again, it was cold overnight and in the morning, the manual tranny wouldn't shift. I had this problem once before in cold weather, so I thought, "It will clear up once it warms up." But no... It only got worse.:roll: I got about a mile and had to limp home and made it into the driveway where she sat, totally immobile, for another week. I had a feeling that the clutch master cylinder had sucked in some air. We had some nice weather this past Sunday, so I started troubleshooting. Sure enough, no fluid in the clutch reservoir. Where did it go? I don't check it very often. The Haynes manual says that as the clutch wears, the fluid level rises. Maybe Haynes is wrong. I saw no signs of leaks in the hydraulic lines, unless the slave cylinder is leaking inside the bell housing. If it were leaking there, I would think that it would have fouled the clutch plate. Anyway, I filled the reservoir and went through the clutch bleeding procedure. I've never done it before, so it took a while to find and reach the bleed screw. It's supposed to be a 2 person job, but for person #2 , I just wedged a board between the clutch pedal and the parking brake handle mounting bracket to hold the pedal down while I completed the bleeding procedure. I think I read about that trick on this very forum.

Oh happy day! The bleed did the trick and she's shifting better than ever. To be safe I'm going to make a couple of shorter local trips on Saturday, before I drive it to work and say, 'Bring on more snow", which is coming on Sunday and Monday.:eek::burnout:

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share my experience and my joy with the gang.;)

Bwana Bob

That is awesome news Bob. Getting her fixed is always a great feeling. :)

"The thrill of victory. The agony of defeat"

Thanks, but I declared victory a little too soon.:( I drove around all weekend and the clutch was fine. On Sunday I checked the fluid and it was a little low so I topped it off. It got cold on Sunday night and it was 20F on Monday. The same problem came back: The pedal goes halfway to the floor with no resistance and the clutch won't disengage. Vigorously pumping the clutch brought enough life back so that I could limp home the few blocks and put her back in the garage. I'm thinking maybe a bad seal is causing air to be sucked into the master cylinder. I hope it's not the slave cylinder.

Don't want to hijack the shift motor thread, so I'll go and find the clutch repair thread. The shift motor, by the way, is still working fine.

Bwana Bob

Well I disassembled the motor, Fixed the broken bushing and whent to install it.... UH OH one of the springs are missing... :thumbdwn: Gonna try the hardware store tomorrow. But excellent write up! :thumbsup:

I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4x4. I have replaced the shift motor, the computer-controller, and the speed sensor. When I push the 4x4 H switch, the motor will turn about 3/4 of the way there but stops short of going into gear. When I push 4x4 L switch it stays the same place. I have hooked up the wiring with the shift motor off the transfer case where I can watch the motor position while my wife pushes the buttons. The lights light up correctly and when I push the 4x4 H switch again the motor returns to the 2 wheel position. Help! This thing is driving me nuts.

Ollie, it sounds like the shift motor gear cover is out of alignment, especially if it looks like the motor is overshooting or undershooting the correct transfer case shaft position. The contact fingers in the gear cover ride on the printed circuit disc to indicate the position of the shift motor shaft. If the cover is out of alignment, the motor positions will be out of sync with the transfer case shaft.

If you have a multimeter, check continuity of the position sense leads (with the motor unplugged) as follows:

2WD: continuity (0 Ohms) between the brown/white (circuit 764 on my wiring diagram) and purple/yellow wires (771).

4WD High: continuity between orange/white (763) and purple/yellow (771)

4WD Low: continuity between white (770) and purple/yellow (771)

Bwana Bob

Bwana: I really appreciate your response. In a past lifetime I was a ham (WA4VRN) but those call letters were probably taken by someone else 30 or 40 years ago. I do have a multimeter and was an electronics tech for the airlines but that ended in 1981 when I went into law practice. So, I do have electrical/electronic experience but that was many moons ago. What I don't understand is how the shift motor could undershoot the correct transfer case shaft position if it is a new motor. I also tried a 2nd new shift motor but I took it back as it did the same thing. How could it be out of alignment? If it is, how do I realign it? I built a homemade shift mechanism to go from 2H to 4H that works, in that it will position the shifter in the right position for both of them. However, it still will not go into 4H. I believe the clutch needs to be activated to do that but I don't know the voltage to operate the magnetic clutch. I afraid to try it with 12 volts as that could be the demise of the clutch coil if it was designed to operate on a lower voltage. I would rather put it back original if I can get it to work. Like I said in my post, this thing is driving me nuts. I need 4x4 to pull my boat out of the boat ramp and up a hill. Two wheel drive just won't do it. Any suggestions? I plan on working on it again this afternoon. Thanks again for the help. Ollie

Ollie: There is something else wrong here, this does not makes sense, although I appreciate the thoughtful responses, as always from everyone here. I would start searching other forums on this site, this issue cannot be unique to you, I suspect, because you're using new components. I don't have a pickup, have rebuilt my shift motor for an Explorer, and I'm totally perplexed by this issue. It has to have happened to someone else; it's a widely reported issue across different makes and models. I'm sorry I cannot find an easy answer for you, I'd be checking with 4x4 club sites; it's out there, your search skills and persistence will be of great benefit. A private email to some of the great minds on this site may turn up your best leads. They been a great help to me in the past.
Best of luck, will reply if I can find anything.

Shamal: Thank you for your time in responding. I never did get to check out Bwana's suggestions because as soon as I got my tools and multimeter out yesterday the wind started blowing hard and the sky got dark within a mater of minutes. I had my 1973 Mustang Convertible parked out side and had to bring it back into the garage as I was afraid of hail or falling tree limbs. Then the rain came and I never did get to check on the Ranger which was parked outside on ramps. I'm telling you that this problem has me perplexed too! I have worked on my own cars since I was 16 years old, and over the years have rebuilt engines, transmissions, and rear ends. I have spent days working on this truck and I have to either fix it or get rid of it. I have hung on this long as I just don't want it to beat me. When I find the answer I will post the fix so others will not have to go through the frustration I have encountered. Thanks again.

Yes, it is odd that a new shift motor would not work properly. Maybe they come with some generic setting that is correct for some models and not others, although I expect that there is only one version of the Borg Warner 1354 (1356?) transfer case. Maybe the shift motors have to be individually calibrated. The gear cover on mine does have graduated markings on it, as if it were meant to be adjusted.

I'm not sure exactly what the clutch solenoid does, because I think that the transfer case shaft can be rotated by hand with a vise grip. That is mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Maybe the clutch only comes into play when shifting on-the-fly. A more elegant manual method of shifting to 4WD is the "shiftster", also mentioned in this thread. Look here: http://theshiftster.com/
Also here: http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-91670-shiftster-electric-to-manual-transfer-case-conversion.html

The only downside I see to the shiftster is that one has to crawl under the truck to operate it. Still, if you don't shift into 4WD often, or want a reliable emergency repair, it's a great idea.

Bwana Bob

4x4 Problem Fixed

CONVERTING AUTOMATIC HUBS TO MANUAL HUBS ON A 1993 FORD RANGER

For some time I was convinced I had shift motor, transfer case, or control module problems, when it was a *&%#&@* automatic hub problem all the time. Thanks to super mechanic Robert Cline for pointing me in the right direction.
To test if the 4x4 is working, press the 4W High button, and drive slowly in a paved parking lot. When you make a very sharp turn you will feel and hear terrible groans from the front wheels as they skid on the paved surface. The sound and feel are unmistakable. Don’t continue to drive on paved surfaces for any length of time as it is very hard on the 4x4 system and the tires.
I used a “Rugged Ridge Locking Hub Conversion Kit” (Part # 15003.65). My Ranger has the Dana 35, 27 spline, 5 bolt front axle.
When I looked up manual locking hubs, most sites said nothing about needing conversion kit consisting of a new bearing adjusting nut with a pin in it, a new lock washer, and a new locknut. The above mentioned kit has everything you need. You also are not told that it is mandatory to have a “4-Wheel Drive Spindle Nut Wrench/Socket.” I used OEM Part #25072 , available at AutoZone.
You need this tool because the bearing nut has to be properly tightened by using a torque wrench. I understand some auto parts store will rent this item, but I bought one at AutoZone for $19.00. The tag says it is for Dana 44 Axles, but it fit my Dana 35 axle nuts. The Auto Craft 2 3/5” (AC650) “4x4 Spindle Nut Wrench WILL NOT FIT. Some posts suggest that a Hex Socket (Performance Tool W83240) is needed. I got by fine without this tool as the nut was not all that tight.
When I pulled the wheel on my Ranger, there were no clips holding on the hub. The first thing needed to be done is to remove the “C” clip located at the end of the splines. Mine was hard to find because it was under grease.
I used a hammer and punch to get it started, then a screwdriver to pry it off. This was done under a large rag in case the clip decided to go flying off into never-never land. I did not need “C” clip pliers to get it off. Once the clip was off I found it easy to slightly turn the nut in order to slide out the wedge with a magnet. Mine came out fairly easily. You will see the wedge in a key slot.
You will reuse only the "C" clip, and the toothed washer. The three new pieces will replace the rest of the old ones.
Unscrew the spindle nuts and then remove the outer bearing and re-grease it.
Now you are ready for reassembly. Install the new nut with the pin facing out. Tighten the nut to 35 ft/lbs to seat the bearing and turn the wheel. Then back it off about ¼ turn and torque it to 16 inch/pounds (not foot/pounds!). The equivalent is about 1 1/3 inch/pounds, but my torque wrench will not read that low, so I just tightened it enough so that there was no excess play.
Next you install the lock washer. Make sure the pin fits into one of the holes. There is a squared off tit in the washer that fits into the keyed slot.
Next install the other locknut and torque it to 150 ft/lbs. Then install the toothed washer (reused) on the shaft, and finally the “C” Clip (reused). I used the rag to cover it as much as I could so hopefully it would catch the clip if it went flying off during the install.
Put a light coat of grease on the inside of the manual hub (too much grease is a no-no), install it, put the wheel back on and you are done. Torque the ¾ inch lug nuts to 85-135 ft/lbs.

Rebuilding shift motor

Thank you so much Brain for this very detailed post! I just bought my 1997 Ranger and the guy I bought it from told me the shift motor needed replaced. I am getting ready to try the rebuild info you provided. I sure hope it works! I am so glad I found this forum. It is full of useful info on about anything you would need to know about rangers and explorers. Will update later with results. Thanks again! :D

Ok so i read some of this and I really need help, I just bought my 92 X and the wires on the shift motor are cracked and deteriorating and i assume that is why my 4x4 wont engage. Problem is that i cant figure out how to replace the whole motor i know i have to disconnect it and unbolt the motor, problem is all the replacement ones are 7 pins and the one on our trucks is 10... I am assuming i need to just repin the new connector with the speedo and whatever the one wire is that goes directly into the transfer-case is. Is that right or am i missing something? ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Awesome thread. After reading and skimming I haven't seen anyone else have this problem. New motor from local auto parts. 4x4 hi works every time but no 4x4 low. New hubs as well. 4hi light works just nothing happens when we try to put her in low. Tested all connectors and motors with power probe everything seems to be in working condition. I can get it to go in low randomly so I know it works but it so intermittent that I'm just stuck

well I guess no one else can figure it out either...
I just said fukit too the motor off and just switch it manually with pliers

just like to bump and say thankyou, i just did this to my 2000 ranger and it works better than new,

all i did was take apart the electric motor and chuck the center part in a drill, then ran some fine sand paper around it until it was nice and clean, same with wear the brushes go,

then i install some new springs(just a random one i had laying around, i cut it to length for the brushes), and cleaned out the magnet motor casing and re greased the brass bushing.

the only difference i found in the 2000 and the guide is the contact that tell the computer what gear the transfercase is in is a sealed unit, you can only adjust it by the 3 torx bolts.

mine had some water intrusion inside the motor, but it seams to work better than new, shifts alot quicker than what it did before it died.

Awesome thread. After reading and skimming I haven't seen anyone else have this problem. New motor from local auto parts. 4x4 hi works every time but no 4x4 low. New hubs as well. 4hi light works just nothing happens when we try to put her in low. Tested all connectors and motors with power probe everything seems to be in working condition. I can get it to go in low randomly so I know it works but it so intermittent that I'm just stuck

the contacts need to be cleaned, where the 3 wires go to, it was sealed in my 2000 but i bet they are servicable like the guide shows:thumbsup:

Thanks!

This thread fixed my problem. Thanks for the photos and detailed instructions!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

low range problem

My 1991 Explorer has a problem with low range. 4 wheel drive in high gear works great. But when the light comes on indicating it's in low range, it acts like it's in neutral. What's the problem?

Back