How to: - Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
stuck transfer case

Hi everybody. I am new to the forum since I realized that my 4x4 (and low range) didn't work. I read quite a few transfer case motor rebuilt instructions and did my best to follow them. After having a few hick-ups rebuilding the motor I finally made it. When I was installing the motor back in, I noticed that I needed to turn the transfer case shaft (the one that normally points to 2H) just slightly counterclockwise (maybe 10 deg or so) in order to re-install the motor. I put everything back in and turned the key on. It turned the 4x4 light right away. I didn't even try running it since the vehicle's rear was on the ramps and front on the ground. I immediatelly took the transfer case motor off to and tried to turn the transfer case shaft with pliers. Somehow, I turned it towards 4L and then realised that I can only turn it between 4L and about 90 degrees clockwise from there. If I try turning more, I am fighting a strong spring that I can't win against.
If I leave it in 4L the vehicle is always in 4L. If I turn it by 90 deg clockwise from (which is so easy I can do it by hand) then the transfer case doesn't even engage the rear end drive shaft (all gear positions feel like neutral).
So, my big question is: "MY TRANSFER CASE SEEMS TO BE STUCK IN 4L. HOW DO I GET IT OUT OF THERE?"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure your in Neutral and in 4x4 when you are trying to engage the 4x4L. I had the same probelem and it was fixed just by stopping and putting it in Neutral for 4x4L.

Thanks for the Article Brain !!

Brain: I'm writing to thank you for the wonderful article on tackling the unresponsive 4x4 shift motor.
'93 4x4 Explorer.
Mine was easy to remove, except the main gear, had to knock it out with a piece of wooden dowel. The plastic bushing was broken in half, might have been jamming the removal of the gear. Transfer case area under the cover in shiny new condition, a shock considering the age of the vehicle ! Cleaned things up and used the piece of hose trick and it works !! Thank you for the photos and excellent article, made everything straight forward and easy to do !
regards and all the best,:thumbsup:
Albie Shamess
Victoria, BC

Well I totally thought this would fix my problem. I opened up the motor and sure enough that little plastic thing was broke in 3 pieces. So I pissed away an entire atfernoon working on this hunk of **** and it's still will not shift out of 4H.

The more I work on this POS the more I hate FORDS. Spent more time working on it then I have driving it.

How I have to go to the junk yard and hope like hell i can get a working one and a switch while I'm at it just in case.

Hey CBII ! My experience is that it is RARELY the switch. I took mine out just to see what was in there and there is precious little stuff in there other than a circuit board and 2 spring loaded buttons. You should read all the threads related to this article, it might save you some work! Thjere is a great one on checking the motor before you reload it.
Re Hating Fords. I've owned and driven ( my dad's as a youngster) a lot of 4x4 vehicles, from all the major manufacturers. They ALL have their quirks and weak points and strong points, even the new ones. Just changing brands won't solve your problems. Any 15 year old product in one of the toughest climates on the planet is a challenge. Most of the guys on this site have NO IDEA what your vehicle faces every winter !! They ALL require maintenance and checking. There are a lot of moving parts on a 4x4. I agree with all the posts about a manual shift lever instead of motors, but I don't want to dump my Explorer for nothing, when I've got this great web of great guys with tons of help and ideas, and it's cheap and fun to have my kids under the vehicles with me. This is the only Ford I own, but even my high end luxury cars have their issues, trust me. I have a Chev with a manual transfer shift, it has other issues !
Take care and good luck !
Shamal
Victoria, BC

Sorry to hear you having troubles, but if you're stuck in 4H why don't you just remove the shift motor and manually turn :hammer: the T-Case selector shaft back to 2H? All this info is in the various shift motor threads

Thanks for the reponses guys. I don't hate all Fords more just this one since it's causeing me a ton problems. I'm going to grap another one form the junk, stripe it down and try that.

DeRocha...Yes I could have manually selected it back to 2wd. However the roads in my area are brutal and the wife needs it to get to work. So having the 4X4 on all the time for now is ok. Oh and I have read most if not all the threads regarding this.

Have you used a voltage meter to test the wiring harness on the shiftmotor to ensure it reads the correct continuity for 2H, 4H, and 4L? If you haven;t foud the wire info the schematics can be found in Repair info 4x4 system.

Hey I am pulling the shift motor this weekend. I can hear it turning when I shift into 4 Hi and 4 Low but it doesn't engage. I am hoping that it's just the bushing that goes crappy on the inside. I was wondering, what size rubber hose does everyone use that has replaced that bushing before? I would like to have a piece handy before I have the motor removed. Thanks.

Hose size

Rikguy: I used 5/16" gas line, did not measure the pin. I just wanted a snug fit , the gear pressed in place holds the hose, once installed. If your gear is turning, you might find something else wrong in here, ie you are hearing the motor turn and the gear or shaft stub are damaged. Youll know once you drop the motor down, it's not difficult to see how the system works.
Good luck

Thanks Shamal. I'll check things out onoce the motor is out. I'll get the gas line and replace the bushing since I'll have it apart anyways.

what is brown wire

what is brown wire for . If it is messed up will it still work

Now it works great

I just rebuilt the shift motor. Works great now. What is with the brown wire? What a stupid design. I cut it and added disconnect terminals for next time.

today me and my bro david, bmxunleashed (you guys might know him), worked on my transfer case motor today. it was pretty annoying to get off, but we did. without cutting the brown wire haha :cool: . we took the motor apart and cleaned the combs and everything. we didn't take apart the part with the gears because we didn't feel like it and i didn't think it would be the electronics sensors or anything because my 4x4 button lights don't even flicker. ever.

so we put it back in and nothing. not even a response. once again just the fusebox in the back making a little click. so that was a bummer. we did get the torx T-20 bit though. the next day we have free time we'll check it out and hopefully fix it.

i need some diff fluid because it sounds bone dry in there.

but my truck sounds way cooler with the magnaflow muffler i just got :thumbsup:

After checking out the motor, it looks fine, even the bushing. It moves when the switch is moved so I must have another problem going on. Back to troubleshooting!

My shift motor has gone out. Is it a dealer item? I see you are wanting to buy old ones?

Need help

I've been reading this forum and using it to help me put a rebuilt electric motor on my transmission. I have a 92 ranger with the borg-warner 13-54 transfercase. Everything went fine until I got to the electric plug. The new motor I got has three less wires running to the plug than does the old one. The wires from the other spots on the back of the transfercase aren't in the new plug. What do i do about this, I know two of the wires come from some sort of sensor. Any advise would be good.

error in my last message

I'm putting an electric shift motor on my transfercase, not the transmission.

I just rebuilt the shift motor. Works great now. What is with the brown wire? What a stupid design. I cut it and added disconnect terminals for next time.

The electromagnetic clutch wire can be removed without cutting by popping out the wire post retention clip within the wire connector.. See post #24 for a picture..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been reading this forum and using it to help me put a rebuilt electric motor on my transmission. I have a 92 ranger with the borg-warner 13-54 transfercase. Everything went fine until I got to the electric plug. The new motor I got has three less wires running to the plug than does the old one. The wires from the other spots on the back of the transfercase aren't in the new plug. What do i do about this, I know two of the wires come from some sort of sensor. Any advise would be good.

It sounds like you have an incorrect shift motor (there are several models of the shift motor for the 1354, but for later years). The old and new wiring harnesses must match up... Take a peek at Explorer Shift Motors

Back