rebuild an explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rebuild an explorer?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I was thinking I could use another truck, but I dont want to pay more than $1k for it. Does anyone know of any wholesalers in the iowa/illinois area where I could get maybe like a trade-in from a dealer with bad trans or engine or something and fix it up? I would like to get a bad engine but good body or something. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know you meant by 1K on just the car itself, but rebuilding an engine or just replacing it is pretty expensive. At work we replace a lot of engines, and they sure do cost a lot to do so. But it would be nice just to have a truck to fix up. Watch out on those transmissions, they can certainly be a pain. Good luck in whatever you do. We have a shop down here called Bruces Auto, and they get a lot of wrecked cars. You might want to try and find a shop like that near you and see if they have anything useful. They sell a lot of used parts, so maybe you could get an engine off them or atleast the block itself and build from there. Good luck again.

-Drew

Call junk yards/wreckers/auction houses. also Classifieds is a great place, and Ebay :)

i meant like 1k for the body(hopefully even less). tried ebay, and didnt find anything - theyre all like 4,000 for a 92. f--- that! as far as the tranny - id give it a goingover, and if it needs a new one, the place that sells the a4ld on ebay is like 10 miles from my house, so i can pick up a new one for like 700.

Try asking local used car lots if they have any trade ins. I did, and got my '92 XL for $300. Runs great and like no rust, seriously. Overdrive is broken, but not much of an initial investment, so repairs can be justified.

$300?! damn! im gonna have to try that! for 300 - the engine AND tranny can be toast!

jgilbs said:
$300?! damn! im gonna have to try that! for 300 - the engine AND tranny can be toast!

Doesn't burn any major amount of oil. Transmission (manual, which is why I bought it) shifts fine and just pops out of overdrive. Interior was pretty derte, but I got it cleaned up. Not really worn.

It's an XL so no comforts. Manual door locks, windows, etc. But at least it has cruise, air, and tilt. Air con is all that matters if you ask me.

Came with a decent set of American Racing wheels. Kind of generic looking, and are really close to the ones with round holes on 91-92 XLTs, but decent.

4x2.

Seems like it takes a tiny bit more turning for it to start, but I don't mind. Fires up and runs smooth. I haven't tuned it up or did anything except add a bottle of Techron fuel treatment.

A little damage on the left side, mostly to the driver's door. It's really a big long dent that I was almost able to pull out, but now it looks like a bunch of ripples. Oh well. And, the front bumper is bent out a little bit on the passenger side. Kind of strange. Looks like a previous owner was backing up with the steering wheel turned left and clipped something. Not awful though. Will look fine if I bothered to bump into something soft and push it back in.

Needed shock and exhaust.

138,000 miles when I got it a few months ago. I'll post pix soon.

Not perfect, but not bad at all for $300. Great machine to fix up, cuz like I said, the body is solid. No rust, no bondo. Rebuilt tranny will be next, and maybe a 302 in the future.

Don't you hate it when your head unit two times more than your truck?

My sig says it's intended use...

well if i can get a good looking truck for even around 500 - and fix it internals, then i would be able to sell it for like 2,000-4,000(going rate for a 1st gen last time i checked) but who knows i might just keep it as an experimental car.

I wish I still had my '92 Eddie B that I had for a few months before I actually got my license. It was pretty rusty but still ran ok and was 4x4. Air con was cold, too. Would have been nice as a trail machine, dune machine, etc.

You can have mine for $1k when the tranny or engine blows :p

Back