Rebuilt 5R55E: no foward or reverse gears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt 5R55E: no foward or reverse gears

FlCracker

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
My 5R55E had 245,000 miles and recently overheated when I was pulling a heavy trailer.
I purchased the following parts for a rebuild:

• TranStar/Recon torque converter and TranStar rebuild kit
  • Assembled valve body from Shift-Rite
  • Complete "gut pack" from East Coast Hard Parts, replacement-in-kind, included pump through rear drum.
  • B&M remote filter

1) Everything went together smoothly, but I now have no engagement in forward or reverse gears. I checked the application chart and the only thing I see in common for reverse and 1st - 3rd is the #1 shift solenoid. I checked the #1 shift solenoid at the 16 pin connector, it was in spec at 26 ohms.

2) I removed the valve body and checked the following:
  • Manual valve was engaged with the shift lever.
  • All three bands are in correct position and not broken.
  • Checked resistance on all solenoids.
  • Re-installed VB with alignment pins.

3) Connected test gauge to drivers side (supply to manual valve):
  • park/neutral: 85 psig.
  • reverse: 175 psig.
  • forward gears: 85 to 120 psig.
Listed pressures were at idle; pressures did increase with rpm.

4) Checked EPC pressure (passengers side):
  • park/neutral 20 psig
  • reverse: 60
  • forward: 20 to 40
EPC pressures were the SAME at idle and at 2,500 rpm.

5) Bypassed the remote filter; no change in pressures.

The computer is not reporting any trouble codes of any kind.

Questions:

- If the trigger wheel was not turning for any reason, wouldn't I get a P0715 or similar TSS trouble code?

- Any chance this is a converter problem?

- Could this still be a control problem?

- I have an ACTRON CP9185 scanner that reads OBD2 transmission trouble codes. Is there a commercially available scanner that will provide a more detailed picture, like reading directly from individual transmission speed sensors?

I am at a complete loss here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:

- If the trigger wheel was not turning for any reason, wouldn't I get a P0715 or similar TSS trouble code?

I wouldn't expect a TSS code because 0 mph is within specs, maybe a gear ratio code if anything.

- Any chance this is a converter problem?

Yes, if the splines are stripped for the input shaft.

- Could this still be a control problem?

Nothing electrical will cause this, forward and reverse are controled by the manual valve. You could unplug everything and it still should go forward and reverse. Things like stripped input splines, missing input shaft, stripped spline in the OD planet for the input shaft, are things that can cause a complete "no-go". A broken input sprag will cause no forward or reverse but it will move in manual low.

- I have an ACTRON CP9185 scanner that reads OBD2 transmission trouble codes. Is there a commercially available scanner that will provide a more detailed picture, like reading directly from individual transmission speed sensors?

Your problem is not electrical so thats no help for this.

I personally never heard of East Coast Hard Parts and they are not far from me, there website is also incomplete. I am assuming that a "gut pack" is everything inside the transmission, from pump to rear drum. Did you need everything?

When you rebuilt this, did you replace everything with their parts as a assembly and just use your case and bolt on a rebuilt valve body? You are probably going to pull this thing back out and check everything.

Those pressures are good enough for a engagement into gear, at least you know the pump is working.

Welcome to this forum & thanks for becoming elite. Did you use an In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts? Do you still have the original valve body? Maybe there's a problem with the replacement one that you purchased. Did you check the alignment of the DTRS?

Back