• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt tranny issue

EmmaD

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Got my rebuilt transmission in and it seemed good til it warmed up.

It slips lightly in 1st starting from a stop than catches. Than slips sometimes in OD or 3rd when just cruising. All down shifts work perfect with no slipping.

what could be the cause of this? What can I do?:(

Emma

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

emma, who built the trans? why havent you taken the truck back yet and asked for an explanation? There could be a number of reasons for your problems but sounds like shotty work to me. It could be low fluid or faulty solenoids but thats something that should have been brought to the attention of whoever reuilt your trans immediately becuase im sure you spent some good money on it. I wouldve been on the phone asap chewin someones ass

I have taken my tranny to Mister Transmission for the free 21 point inspection. I just called them and they took my machine out for a drive for about 1/2 hour stopping and starting but nothing. I asked them if the were able to plug it to a computer to see if anything is wrong and he said that it was and the computer pulled no problems. They are going to take it out later again today and see if it acts up. It seems to act up when it is warm could the problem be the catalatic converter? someone sugested that

Be very wary of anything Mr. Transmission tells you. There are there to sell you a re-built transmission wether you need one or not, and that is all they want to do.

last night when i tried to drive out of my jobs parking lot...i reversed out of the spot, clicked it into drive, and began moving forward in first gear. After a small distance i continued pressing the gas and it revv'd pretty good while not moving at all. Then once it caught the truck went forward. Shortly after that i was at a stop sign and tried to move forward beleiving i had enough time to make it across the street. The truck revv'd really good but again did not move. Once it clicked in it shot me into the street a little bit .... in front of the truck ! Needless to say that is a safety issue.

This morning I took the truck into Mr.Transmission since they offered a free 21 point inspection. The owner was the one that I was dealing with all day and he is also a certified tranny mechanic. He said that he test drove the truck three times today and he did not feel any drag or slippage. Once again the truck proved me as a liar...lol. He said that they also put it on the hoist and hooked the computer up to see if there were any tranny codes past and present and he said that the computer came up with nothing. I told him that I didn't have any check engine light come on about the tranny even before it was changed. The only codes that came up were the onesyou helped me with for the EGR system. While up on the hoist he said that he did notice the tranny leaking from the front torque converter seal but that was it. I called the guy who put the tranny in for me and told him about the seal and he said that if I bring it back on Tuesday he will fix it he had no Idea that it was leaking. On the way home today after picking the truck up from the transmission shop it did not act up at all. One thing I noticed was if I take it out of OD the truck is not sluggish it has better pickup. I only drove a short distance out of the overdrive and it didn't act up. I told the mechanic that I know there is something wrong and I was affraid that I was going to wreck this tranny if I continued to drive it. He could not say much because he has nothing to work with at the moment. I asked him if it could be my catalatic converter because a friend had a similar issue and after taking it to two tranny stores they said that her tranny worked fine then took it next door to a muffle shop and they found herconverter was melted and causeing her problem. When I told him her storey he said that many people come in thinking that is the case it is very common but he told me that is not my problem. He told me how he knew but I can't remember exactly how he put it. Well I don't know what to do from here I don't want to pull my tent trailer if it is not functioning properly but how do I know it's not. The tranny was a swap out two diffrent trannys I could see it doing the same thing if we used the same one. in the last 2 weeks I have put about 1600.00 into this truck and when you helped me out I put in 500.00 when does a person stop. Do you have any ideas on what I can check that might be giving me this dead issue? Brian when he does the seal is is going to check the "bands" agian he said. I am not sure what he is talking about there. Is it possile there could be air in the system causeing this to happen? Any suggestions work really help me feel better.

I don't kniow what Canada's warranty laws are but the best advice I can give you is keep records of all the times you have taken it back to the shop (invoices) if possible. If after awhile you notice any burning oder coming from underneath your truck, that is a sign that the trans will fail in a short period of time. Also, monitor the coloar of the trans fluid very closely. Transmission shops are some of the worst people to deal with, believe me, I speak from experience. I went through two transmissions before I took it to someone else who tested it on a dyno after they rebuilt it. I never had any problems after that. Good luck.

rebuilt tranny issues

maybe it's the trannys rebuilt in Edmonton. I just Picked up my rebuilt tranny from there, put it in and made about 4 miles before I felt a sort of "pop" and then I had no gears of any sort (except park). Guess I'll pull it out tomorrow and have a look. (sigh)

I went three days without any problems then today when I was driving home from a mothers day supper the f'n thing acted up a few times. I don't know mayb it is something othr than the tranny. Could it be the ECU or something else?

Back