Rebuilt Transmission won't go into gear | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt Transmission won't go into gear

Do you have a pressure gauge?

My guess is that there is a large internal leak in the line pressure circuit.

Do you have the gasket between the pump and case installed? maybe it mispositioned...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a pressure gauge?

My guess is that there is a large internal leak in the line pressure circuit.

Do you have the gasket between the pump and case installed? maybe it mispositioned...

You mean the round one that goes on the thin plate between the pump and case? Looks like a ring with no holes?

I am referring to the paper gasket that sits on the thin metal plate, it seals the oil passages to and from the pump.

56310.jpg

Yes I got that one on and all lined up I'm pretty sure there's only one way it lines up. This thing has been very frustrating but I have to take it out again anyway. Is there any other seals I should check? I replaced the center support and all the lip seals in the drums. I still can't figure out the no reverse thing.

The large sealing rings on the center support are for the direct drum, the direct drum is used in reverse. The forward drum is for all forward ranges and its sealing rings fit in the center support. Is your replacement center support identical to the one that came out?

Is the torx bolt (under the valve body) for the center support tight?

Are you sure the reverse servo is correct and is indexed on the reverse band? This will cause no reverse but will not explain the loss of drive.

The torx bolt is tight. I didn't replace the whole center support, just the seals. As far as the reverse servo goes, I hope it's correct I left that up to the mechanic to install along with the valve body. I really didn't mess with the reverse band at all.

I guess if I get a seal kit I could replace every seal in the thing and that should solve the problem. Right?

I wish things could be that easy, I think the problem will be somewhere like the pump or valve body or sealing rings. You should inspect the whole thing yourself just so you will know its right and you can get a better understanding about the tranny.

Air checking the drums on the center support and pump can help find apply problems and you can also air check the transmission once it is back together as well.

You will probably need the gasket and seal kit anyway just in case something tears or needs to be replaced.

Should I just chance getting another salvage tranny instead?

Get a guarantee in writing if you decide to purchase a used transmission from a salvage yard. It's possible to purchase a rebuilt or a remanufactured transmission too. You could do the installation work.

What would you do at this point? I'm not wanting to spend a lot more money I'll tell you that much.

Check WWW.ATRA.Com for a local shop to get an estimate. Maybe it's something simple that they could repair without getting everything rebuilt. Make sure that they put everything in writing.

I've actually contacted them before and there is a shop about 25 miles from me. They wanted to charge me close to $2500 for a rebuild. I think I'll start with putting another valve body on and if not I'll try replacing every seal in the thing.

I wish things could be that easy, I think the problem will be somewhere like the pump or valve body or sealing rings. You should inspect the whole thing yourself just so you will know its right and you can get a better understanding about the tranny.

Air checking the drums on the center support and pump can help find apply problems and you can also air check the transmission once it is back together as well.

You will probably need the gasket and seal kit anyway just in case something tears or needs to be replaced.

How do I air check the transmission?
Could the symptoms I'm having be caused by a loose valve body?

Back