Recall for 2002?? Any done it already?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recall for 2002?? Any done it already??

fedyfedz

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited v8
Since i got my explorer about a year ago, i just got a recall a month or two ago about the rubber boot thing on the cruise control mechanism. Has anyone gotten this done already?

The reason im asking is becasue i work 9-5 and for service dept by me is only opening at those times. How long does it take? And i heard if it gets bad enough it can leak and start fire? thats the last thing I want. wondering if I can do it on my lunch break or if I should take off to bring it there.

Also ive never had to bring anything for a recall, do you just bring it it and say "fix my **** now" and they do it for free and say bye? hahaha i wish it could be that quick and easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is that easy. 5 minutes- they plug in a harness. Unless yours is already leaking, then they replace the switch. Either way it's painless.

if its leaking already is it about the same time? And i dont want to sound like an idiot but is it free lol? I heard from someone on the forum about this that after it was done they noticed there breaking improved. From what I can see it is not leaking but ive been wrong in the past

I just did mine about 2 months ago. Took 10 mins (and the guy fooled around talking for 5). Did it on my lunch.

Just recently had mine done. Quick and painless.

The service dept. is only open 9-5? How strange. Most open at 7 am.

Just brought mine in two days ago... when I called service dept said I didn't even need an appt just stop by. took all of 5-10 minutes. They had one on the shelf. You might want to call and check they do have the part.

NO CHARGE ~FREE

Actually when I talked to the guy, he said there was a recall revision on the part. So I now have the most up to date part.

But to make life easier, bring your letter of recall in, they have always kept my recall letters.

hootchiesmom

thanks for the response everyone il be going this week prob Wednesday ill report back soon

Standing by........................:popcorn:

Does anyone have the ID number for this recall? I didnt see this one online.

i have it at home im at work now so I can get it to you by 530 if no one else responds

Speed Control System Modification: Recall 09S09
Rear Gate Glass Hinge Replacement Program: Recall 04S20

yep thats it lol

So no appointment is needed? And they get it done that quickly? Probably should bring mine in then sometime soon, I have been pushing it off for almost a year. :thumbdwn:

just got back from the dealer and all i could say is what a disappointing exerience. this is my first time having to go to the dealer for a recall or anything like that. I made an appointment online for the shop by me and got 2 automated responses blah blah, i get there and off the bat the guys did not seem interested or pleased to help me or answer my questions. So i get there and he goes u have an appointment? i said i made it online i didnt bring the paper with me, he got some info of my truck since its first time taking it there, even with the appointment i made he said i can prob get u out in an hour and it took 45min, i said it takes 10 min he said well i gotta get it into the shop first...so my appointment did nothing. Then after waiting my car finally goes in....i now this casue i hear the guys in the shop bumping my system.****suckers!! so as im waiting im asking im questions that relate to my truck and that have been discussed or answered on the awesome forum. I asked him about my fuel filter if i purchased the right one and he goes yeh that sounds like it, then goes psshhh good luck changing it, and i said i know how to change it and he said good luck getting to it. he did not want to help. I asked the other guy if there was any pcm update for my 2002 v8 casue i only saw it online for v6 and he said it will take a lot longer i will have to plug it in on the other side of the shop and read it, i said forget it, i was on my lunch break, so the mechanic comes back and goes ur inspections up u want me to check it out for you, i aid no ill bring it to my shop by me. Then what really pisses me off after all of this (sorry im rambling) he says ur all set ill move ur truck out once the coffee truck moves, when the lunch came they all practially stopped working and the coffee truck for some reason was in the garage bay blocking cars from entering and exiting the shop, then i waited 15 min till the guy backed out and let the guy come out with my truck.... i must say very disappointed in ford's service department and everything I just encountered....i hope this is easier for other people that have to do this recall

That's just a horrible service manager, there. No control over his guys and how they perform their scheduled work. Sucks.

Yeah the dealers usually suck. Fedy what dealer did you go to? I once went to Ramp out in Port Jeff for the works package and the guy was such an ass. Knew how to tell me about my 800 dollar rotors that needed to be replaced but failed to tell me anything about my battery and alternator which crapped out a week later. And he was just a jerk to people on the phone.

Then Tower Ford in Great Neck they always give my mom a run around with her freestyle and tell her bs reasons why they cant replace parts that are covered under warranty. One time they even failed to put a quart of oil in her car.

I just try to avoid the dealer at all costs because of the fact they are mostly jerks and just want your money. I take it to a local mechanic who I trust and has done much work on my explorer.

i went to the dealer for this recall on mine after i got a notice in the mail. when i took it in, the guy at the desk said he didnt know of any such recall, and did a search and said there wasn't one..? so i just went on my merry way.

Yeah the dealers usually suck. Fedy what dealer did you go to?

i beleive its in classified as st.james but its in smithtown with with all the other car dealers. i plan to do all work to my truck myself and only plan on taking it to ford for recalls and even then im going to be iffy about going back...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i beleive its in classified as st.james but its in smithtown with with all the other car dealers. i plan to do all work to my truck myself and only plan on taking it to ford for recalls and even then im going to be iffy about going back...

Ford of Smithtown I think, I was there once seemed nice enough. Otis out in Quogue is supposed to be good.

Yeah I agree, if you know how to do the work, do it yourself and bypass dealer or at least bring to a trusted local mechanic.

Back