Recent purchase of a 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer 107,000miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent purchase of a 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer 107,000miles

Yorkjw

Reaction score
City, State
Wheaton IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Eddie Bauer
No idea if the trans has ever been drained or flushed. The limited records (CarFax) make no mention of either. Fluid is dark but apparently not burnt. Should I flush and fill or drain and fill? Should I risk the Flush? No problems as of yet but this is going to be my daily ride. The Body is in near perfect shape, Brakes are fine, new radiator, new Goodyear Fortera tires, just repaired what appeared to be the original Universal Belt. I really wish this vehicle to last a good long time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In general, I would drop the pan and replace the filter and fluid.

What engine ?

V-6, last weekend ran if from the Western Chicago Suburbs down to Galesburg. Ran fine except the original muffler and tailpipe fell apart on the way back. largely the vehicle seems to have been physically maintained. Interior and exterior are very clean, interior is not worn at all. I have worked on the brakes, plan to replace the resistor on the blower, and as I mentioned the radiator has been replaced.....it too appeared to be original. I do not plan to tow with it.

Ok, so if it's v6, it has 5R55S tranny which is problematic, don't ask us on this forum how we all know that :)
I would still drop the pan and replace the fluid and filter. It's an DYI job, messy but not complicated.

Pan drop and filter change. Plenty of videos on how to do it and what you will need. Mercon V only. Motorcraft meets or exceeds the specifications. I would not use any fluid that says suitable for Mercon V. 5r55s is a touchy trans.

Thanks guys. Any comments on the what I should look out for with the engine?

Timing chains-Timing chains-Timing chains. Listen to the engine in startup for any noise like a rattling sound (penny's in a tin can) and around 2,000 rpm. Oil changes and filter. 5W30 only. I use Quaker state ultimate durability no less then 3,000 miles and no more then 4,000 miles. Some my think this is to soon but my choice. May help my not but cannot hurt. Looking inside my valve cover it's spotless. Really do not want to do chains. So far at 73,000 miles no issue. Wheel bearings front and rear but yours may have been already been changed. Also ask questions on this forum. Lots of knowledgeable folks on here. They have seen it and done it all.

197,000 miles on original engine and tranny.
Oil change every 5,000 miles only issue is the valve cover on the left side leaks a little.
Tranny, well reverse is starting to go. My tranny guy says wait till it fails before working on it. It's a 3 day job either way.
Ditto on the wheel bearing. It's amazing how noisy they get and you don't notice until you fix.
Check your sway bar links. OEM are cheap. I used Moog and you can replace without removing the tires.
You'll probably want to replace the struts.
Last, but not least, check your wiring harness for missing insulation. See...ghosts...

Found my ghosts in the machine

Blend door actuator will probably go before long. Cheap fix, but PITA!
The coolant system is marginal, check thermostat housing, y connector to heater.
Probably ought to replace the evap hose if it's original. 3 bucks of fuel hose!

Beachcomber happy to hear 197,000 on engine and transmission made my day:)

197,000 miles on original engine and tranny.
Oil change every 5,000 miles only issue is the valve cover on the left side leaks a little.
Tranny, well reverse is starting to go. My tranny guy says wait till it fails before working on it. It's a 3 day job either way.
Ditto on the wheel bearing. It's amazing how noisy they get and you don't notice until you fix.
Check your sway bar links. OEM are cheap. I used Moog and you can replace without removing the tires.
You'll probably want to replace the struts.
Last, but not least, check your wiring harness for missing insulation. See...ghosts...

Found my ghosts in the machine
I plan to change the oil every 3K, I've already replaced the sways. I'll keep an eye on the struts but no problems as of yet (knock wood). Thanks for the advice on the struts.

Blend door actuator will probably go before long. Cheap fix, but PITA!
The coolant system is marginal, check thermostat housing, y connector to heater.
Probably ought to replace the evap hose if it's original. 3 bucks of fuel hose!
I've been meaning to get to the blend door, I'll get on it after I replace the fan resistor.

Back