• Register Today It's free!

Recomended FLuids!!!!!!!

Hyper26414

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
5.0L 98 XLT
Im looking to change the fluids in my tranny transfer case and the front and rear diffs. Just wanted to get some advise on the best fluids to put in these.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

x2 for synthetic, Iv run Mobil 1 for years, also makes smoother shifts.

The front diff is not under the same load as the rear, so 80W90 conventional oil is fine.

For the transfer case, I use M1 synthetic ATF, but any good ATF can be used there. That case does not hold much fluid, so I would change it every 30K Miles. I added a magnetic drain plug to my TC to catch any filings.

Your rear axel (V8) calls for 74W140 synthetic. You can use M1, Redline, Amsoil, or Ford (with Ford you need to add the LSD additive if you have trac-lock) All good products. BMW calls for axel fluid change after first 1200 miles. I used to work for a transport company, and the techs would change the fluid in our new Freighliners after a few weeks, then it stayed in for 500,000K miles

The best time to change axel fluid is after the axel has broken in around 1,200 to 2,000 Miles. The next best time is now.

Thanks I was specifically looking for oil weights and brand and if there were any cancouctions tho be brewed up I have a friend that said it was recommended to mix oil for the thranny/ front diff on a subaru impreza wrx. I think Im going to go all amsoil. Unless otherwise directed by the explorer Gurus.

I just changed my rear with Redline 75W140 (conventional axel with 4:10 ratio) it was $14 a bottle. After doing a lot of research I would use Amsoil 75W110 if I had to do it over. A good compromise between fuel economy and better protection.

Check this link: http://www.lubrizol.com/products/automotive-gear-oil/J306.asp
A good read that answers a lot of questions as to why Ford spec'd a 75W140 oil. You can see that the range that a gear oil could meet in the past has been narrowed. So what once was a 90can now be called a 110, and some oils that were a 140 now also can be a 110.

Also, my spider gears were pitted, so you may want to do the oil change when you have enough time to change out the spiders if needed....

What are the capacities for the front and rear diffs the tranny and the transfercase? I plan on going all amsoil.

Also what weight oil should I use previous owner has been using valvoline max life 10w30

What about this friction modifier??? Will I need this using amsoil 75w110?????? How can I tell if I have limited slip? I know I have 373 gears.

If you are going to use Amsoil, it contains friction Modifier, so it doesn't matter if you have LSD or not. Don't add any more Friction modifier unless you get groaning in the rear. You will need 3 liters. (oops, quarts) You can use 5W30 or 10W30 in these engines, there is very little difference; they are both a 30 weight at operating temperatures. If you don't change your oil very often, 5W30 will shear down quicker as it has more viscosity improvers in it.

I use 10W30 except in winter (dec to march) then I use 5W30

Back