Recommended Manufacturers for Ring & Pinion kits? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommended Manufacturers for Ring & Pinion kits?

blueka

Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
Ok.. So. I have a 97 SOHC 4x4 auto with 3.73 LSD

Considering changing the ratios to either 4.56 or 4.88

Currently running 285/75/16s and considering the jump to 35s in the future...

first off,

4.56 or 4.88s? I do mostly city/highway driving.. not much wheeling where I am.

Secondly, which manufacturer would you recommend for the ring and pinion sets? and what install kits should I get?

Cheers

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok.. So. I have a 97 SOHC 4x4 auto with 3.73 LSD

Considering changing the ratios to either 4.56 or 4.88

Currently running 285/75/16s and considering the jump to 35s in the future...

first off,

4.56 or 4.88s? I do mostly city/highway driving.. not much wheeling where I am.

Secondly, which manufacturer would you recommend for the ring and pinion sets? and what install kits should I get?

Cheers

Si
im no pro, but when i went on grimmjeeper, with your current combo at 70 mph youre ag 2000 rpm, but with 4.56s and 35s woull be at 2298, so either way youll have more low end than now, so if youre happy with the current setup, 4.56, and 4.10s fwiw is 2066 rpm so very close to what you have now, but im assuming you have the 5r55e, id suggest 4.56 or 4.88, but 4.56 would put you right about where you were originaly eith 3:73 and 245/70/16 i think idk just my 2 cents

yeah, has the 5r55E and originally was on 255/70/16s
I think I was about 2250rpm originally.. Can't remember

so, 4.88 would put me at lower RPM at highway speeds? or higher?

Thanks

Si

Take your current tire diameter, the new size, and the 3.73 stock gears, and do the math to tell you what it takes to get the same highway rpm. Then decide if you think it will need more rpm on top of that to give it similar acceleration or gas mileage.

The 285/75/16's are about 32.5" tall, more with really deep off road tread types.
You're aiming for the 35" tall tires.

So take 35/32.5, multiply that by 3.73, and you get just over 4:1, but you already dropped rpm's when you went up almost 3" in tire size. I'd say a 4.35:1 could get it near the stock gearing, but often the 4.0's had 4.10 gears. So that suggests you'd need the 4.88 gears to move it to around the stock 4.10 truck gearing.

The heavier tires are going to hurt performance a good bit. I think I'd go to the 4.88:1 without hesitating.

The 302 you could force a 6R trans into it, and get the 4.17 1st gear, which makes it 15.5:1 in 1st without changing the 3.73 gears. ;)

sadly not a 302 here... UK specs only got the 4.0 SOHC 5r55e and 4x4
I wish I lived in the US where parts and stuff were more readily available. I'll have to import everything (lift kit, ring & pinion, install kits) and the import tax will murder my costs

Si

Try to find Ford gears, they are more precisely made, so less possibility of noises etc. It's worth and extra $40 or so per set if you can get those. I'm plotting on buying 3.08 gears for my 98 302, maybe next year. I looked at some rebuild parts and tools, those I didn't notice any big difference among brands, or pricing. Summit was a good source for many of those items when I looked last year.

I ran 1/2 ton then 1 tons using Yukon ring and pinions from Randy's.

Ericautopart sometimes has Ford Racing Takeouts for cheap. I believe Ford only went as deep as 4:56 tho. Motive gear makes them for Ford.

Most of the times, all gears are made by the same foundries, as there are just a few of them worldwide that makes them. They don't all have one, that only makes theirs. Biggest differences are how they are made. 3 cut or 5 cut, with the latter being the best. 5 cut are smoother, and make less noise. Some have rigid or smooth surfaces, that make the difference. 5 cut can take the high temps better, and last longer.

With just a couple of things to know about them, it really comes down to whom you buy them from, and the pricing from each supplier.

There are budget gears out there too, stay away from them! Less is not always worth it. Price is higher on the premiums, as the manufacturing process is different, and more elaborate when making them.

As far as the RPM's goes, we already discussed all that Simon, so I have nothing more to add there.

I ran 4.56 on my Ranger for over twenty years, running 33’s first, then 37s for most of the years, then 35’s for the last few years. I would think 4.56 would be perfect for you, and 4.88 would be overkill for your use.

I think the Dana and Yukon will be among the best also besides Ford.

I don't think Ford offer the Ring & Pinion sets in a 4.56 or 4.88, at least I haven't seen any being offered.

I've had a look on Rockauto, Summit Racing, Randy's and been speaking directly to Yukon.

I'm a bit stuck for where to get them because I'll need shipment to the UK.

Rockauto currently have a Dana R&P set in a 4.56 for $166.79 plus shipping

Si

Ditto, the gear ratios at both ends of the range of choices will have to be non Ford gears. Ford I was told only went to a 3.08 on the other end, and I thought they did make 4.56 gears. The current supply issues might change that as well.

Unless your getting the performance Yukon gear sets (Made in cheap labor countries), and found a good price, I would pass.
Prices on Yukon are marked up more times than Levi's Jeans sold in Japan. Don't fall for the aftermarket brain washing campaigns. They are all extremely good at promoting sub-par products.

Ford Performance (Motive) 4:56 R&P for the 8.8" can be found easily.
It's the Front SLA reverse cut D35, that is the issue. Helps to search under
SLA Rangers for these, as more options result.

IMO Dana gears works fine for the front, that barely gets used under power. I like Dana gears for daily & mild off road use actually. Always been good quality stuff.
Can get their master install kits, and your in Bizz. I mean, they made the front axle.....

Since your not using this for off road weekend beatings 25 times a year, I think staying with the OEM gear sets will be perfectly fine.
The installer is really going to make all the difference, for overall performance. Make sure they know what they are doing!
Get the work done in writing, along with a warranty for labor. If they order the parts, get those in writing too!

sadly not a 302 here... UK specs only got the 4.0 SOHC 5r55e and 4x4
I wish I lived in the US where parts and stuff were more readily available. I'll have to import everything (lift kit, ring & pinion, install kits) and the import tax will murder my costs

Si
So a little vacation on this side of the pond? You know, check out the Tour De Autoparts, take back a few souvenirs (in checked baggage, of course). Certainly a better way to spend those funds than on shipping and supporting the Tax Nazis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back