Recommended Tire Pressure for Hankooks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommended Tire Pressure for Hankooks

ercole

Reaction score
City, State
Verona, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I couldn't find the label with the recommended tire pressure on either the door to glove box. Does anyone know where it's located. Would like to measure the tire pressure and even out the tires if necessary, but I don't know how many pounds of pressure for these 20" LTD wheels.

Second, the car drives perfectly straight, but the steering wheel is not perfectly set at 12 o'clock, more like 1, but no pulling. Is there a screw adjustment that I can turn to put the steering wheel back to 12. Just a cosmetic thing.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldn't find the label with the recommended tire pressure on either the door to glove box. Does anyone know where it's located. Would like to measure the tire pressure and even out the tires if necessary, but I don't know how many pounds of pressure for these 20" LTD wheels.

Second, the car drives perfectly straight, but the steering wheel is not perfectly set at 12 o'clock, more like 1, but no pulling. Is there a screw adjustment that I can turn to put the steering wheel back to 12. Just a cosmetic thing.

Thanks.
As Bill indicated, the psi for this vehicle is 35. It is mentioned in the Owner's Manual and on my Limited, the sticker is on the driver's side 'B' pillar just above where the door latch is attached to the frame. It is also my experience that usually the steering wheel position is tied to wheel alignment.

Well I've looked and no luck...anyone know what the tire pressure should be when towing over 4000lbs with folks and gear?? Should there be any change at all?

Well I've looked and no luck...anyone know what the tire pressure should be when towing over 4000lbs with folks and gear?? Should there be any change at all?
I'm no expert on the subject but I think you can increase the psi if carrying extra weight. The question is increase to what psi and how much extra weight is actually on the vehicle's tires? I checked just checked my tires, Yokohama Parada-Spec-X, and on the side wall it shows Max. 2271 lbs, at 50 psi Max.

I think 38 to 40 would be a safer deal then maxing it out to 50psi. I'll try that on my next long run with the boat. I'll try 38 since it'll expand to 40 or so after its hot.

I think 38 to 40 would be a safer deal then maxing it out to 50psi. I'll try that on my next long run with the boat. I'll try 38 since it'll expand to 40 or so after its hot.
Not sure what the Hankooks can be maxed out at. It should be on the sidewall. Happy boating!

Thanks! I'll update this thread when I try that psi...It could improve mpg, less rolling resistance.

You can calculate the needed tire-pressure, the same way as the European tire-makers do for decades and the American since 2006.
I once got hold of the formula and its addings, and worked it out.
Learned myself Excell for it to make spreadsheets for it.
Translated a few from Dutch to English to go worldwide with it, and discovered that this formula was not so holy as I declared it.
For normal and Extra load radial car tires though, the Eupopean power used in the universal formula prooved to be save, and comes to pressures wich dont damage the tires by riding up to the speed it it calculated for.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a526e0eee092e6dc#cid=A526E0EEE092E6DC&id=A526E0EEE092E6DC!235
In this map in my public map of skydrive/hotmail spreadsheets and examples to re-calculate for non oem tires or to check the original.
So even if you have the original tires, re - calculate , and mind that the normal use is for 3 persons and a little load, and not given in the advice in America. Heavy use is for the gross axle weight ratings , and that is what in America is mostly given, and called mostly the normal use. So you have to shift the names 1 place, my normal use ignore, my heavy use is normal use, my towbar use is heavy use This GAWR can be found mostly on the same plate as the advice pressures. Then you dont have to use the first part for calculating back the loads they used for normal use, yust leave it open.

Thanks.

There is an easy adjustment the dealer can make. I had early issues with a loose steering wheel, and it had the off center angle too. It is not a road wheel alignment issue.

tyre low pressure

Hi, friend,

yestarday when i was on the road on my explorer 2011 limited 4WD a listen..din din din and i look spia yellow with "low tyre pressure" and i went to garage for put air (35 psi) after i put air on all wheels the yellow spia is gone.
this is first time that i put air on wheels from last year ( october 2011). Is normaly? i think yes, there are any person with some problem?
i wait your response.
Thank you.

You probably have a slow leak in one of them so when you filled them all it brought back up the pressure in the one with a leak.

If you get another TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) warning light then use a Tire Pressure Gauge first to check all the tires before filling.

Check that tire for nails, and if you don't see anything it might be a bad valve stem.

I noticed that the 2013's now have green valve caps which is usually indicative of Nitrogen.

Hi, friend,

yestarday when i was on the road on my explorer 2011 limited 4WD a listen..din din din and i look spia yellow with "low tyre pressure" and i went to garage for put air (35 psi) after i put air on all wheels the yellow spia is gone.
this is first time that i put air on wheels from last year ( october 2011). Is normaly? i think yes, there are any person with some problem?
i wait your response.
Thank you.
Were the tires pressures checked during that 1 year period? If not, then you may not have a problem at all. Pressures should be check regularily as all tires will slowly lose air over time. If you do check them often, then as Sgt1411 stated, you may have a slow leak in one. If the alarm comes on again, before you put air in the tires, check them all with a tire gauge to see which one is low and keep an eye on that one.
I must admit that I don't usually check mine. They are done when I bring it in every 6 months for an oil change and also when the Wheels are swapped out for the Winter ones.

Peter

the reason your steering wheel isn't centered is due to the way the tie rod ends are adjusted. it's easy for an alignment shop to correct this, but if you want to do it yourself, first loosen the lock nuts then break the tie rods loose of the steering knuckles and turn them equal amounts in the direction you want to go. i'd guess about 4 full turns each from your description. then lock everything back down again and see where you are. i'd let the alignment shop do it. if you've recently had your wheels aligned, make them fix it as they should have done this during the alignment process.

Hmmmm...

My 2013 Explorer Limited 302A 4WD delivered in July has BLACK caps on the valve stems.

My wife's 2012 Lincoln MKT has GREEN caps.

Go figure.

David

My build date shows as 2012 08 10 on the window sticker

Green caps mean your dealer has filled your tires with nitrogen gas instead of regular air!

So now I have to go to the dealer if I need tires filled, because Nitrogen is like E85 gasoline.........theres only 1 station with it every 1000 miles....LOL

nitrogen is used because it's a larger molecule than o2. with nitrogen you're tires don't need air as often. i don't see why you couldn't top of with o2 if you have to, but you're better off with nitrogen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the air around you already contains 78% nitrogen. So, honestly I don´t really see a noticable advantage of pure nitrogen in the tires instead of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% other gasses.
In my opinion, this tire gas (pure nitrogen) is more or less a marketing thing and should take you to the dealer more often and pay (more) for filling or topping up the tires.

Last time they offered to me the filling with tire gas for 5 Euros (7 US$). I declined of course. Filling the tires with air was and is free everywhere here in Germany.

Back