• Register Today It's free!

Refuses to idle (with fix)

FordLover

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
My Mothers 2000 Mountaineer (2WD, 4.0 liter SOHC/5 speed auto w/81K miles) has been having a very intermittant refuse to start and idle problem over the last year and a half or so. Never repeatable, but typically after the 3rd or 4th attempt, with a bit of waiting inbetween it would start and run fine.

Last evening, if refused to start to take her home from work. I showed up, and could get it to start if I gave it gas, but as soon as you took your foot off the gas, it would die. I managed to get it out of the parking garage, and tried unplugging the IAB to see if it would allow it to idle, no change. Towed it to the dealer (extended warrranty paid for tow, and repair - 50$ deductible).

Turns out the IAB had stuck, and normally after warming up a bit, they become unstuck, which is why this was intermittant, and would normally start after a few trys.

I'm sure this is common with this engine, and has probably been covered multiple times, but I figgured I'd tell the story anyhow.

For what it's worth, With 81K miles, this is the first time the vehicle was ever towed. It is also the 3rd time the vehicle has been to the dealer since we purchased it new in july of 2000. The first time was for a rear window wiper replacement in 02, the second was the radio display about 2 years ago, and now the IAB.
We're very impressed with how great of a truck it's been. Certainly not our first explorer based vehicle, and will definitely not be our last.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FordLover,

Don't you mean IAC valve? (Idle Air Control) This valve opens or closes to adjust amount of air to enter.. If it's stuck, then engine can't idle properly.

-Tim

IAC.....I'll second that motion......OR, will it be, "third?"

Aloha,Mark

Back