• Register Today It's free!

Regearing opinions wanted

chewy4x4

Reaction score
City, State
New Braunfels, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Exploder Sport 2wd
I drive a 2WD X sport. That being said I will be running 33's. I am going to regear and I want to know what yall think. I have been through the site and I have read the charts and I still want your opinions. Would 4.10's, 4.30's, or 4.56's be my best choice I want a balance of Power/Performance and fuel Economy.

4.10's for economy, 4.56's for performance. So 4.30's would be right in the middle so id say go for those. I have 4.10's with 33's and get good mileage for what it is, but more power would be nice..

I have 4.10s and do mostly city/town driving and personally, I think I have plenty of power. Cruises at 60mph at about 2000 rpm.

I would say with the SOHC 4.0L go with the 4.56 gears. 4.30's would be good too. 4.10's would not be worth the money for the small change.
My sport trac came with 30" tires and 4.10's stock, and worked great! If you convert it, it's about equal to 33" tires and 4.56 gears. Don't forget about the extra rolling mass and drag too.
My personal choice
#1 - 4.56
#2 - 4.30

For what it's worth, I run 4.88's on 33's. It's okay but not quite ideal on the highway. Still does just fine at freeway speeds though. I only used them because a) I got a cheap front diff with gears in it, b) maybe running 35's some day.

Back