relatively cheap HP upgrades? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

relatively cheap HP upgrades?

Reaction score
is there some relatively cheap HP upgrades i can do besides the K&N air filter, maybe an exhaust system? looking for some tips? are the plat fours that good? whats about throttle bodies and such stuff like this? thanks Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a k&N air filter, look into a superchip, If you decide to get a throttle body, don't get one bigger then 60mm, the 66mm will not add any extra hp. The Borla exhaust adds 7hp for $406. Borla Headers $397. Throttle Bodies $345. In this magazine it says half off K&N filter with the purchase of Borla Exhaust! Performance module by JET powertech adds 10-15hp.

All this in the Performance products catalog. I got mine free! Go to the Performance products website. It is www.performanceproducts.com

I'VE READ MULTIPLE REPORTS ON THROTTLE BODY INSTALLS (ONE OF THEM AN EXPLORER) AND NONE OF THEM WERE ABLE TO SHOW A POWER INCREASE ON THE DYNO. THEY DID STATE THAT "IT FELT QUICKER" ,DAH-RIGHT ($300 MISTAKE)! FOR A HIGHLY MODIFIED ENGINE, SURE, A BIGGER T/B WOULD HELP. SURPRISINGLY, NEW/H/P SPARK WIRES ADD A LOT OF POWER FOR THE $.
I HAVE INDEXED PLATINUM PLUGS,K&N FILTER,SPLITFIRE WIRES,FLOWMASTER EXHAUST, (WISH I COULD A-FORD HEADERS).

Have you tried cutting hole in the bottom half of your airbox or do you have the conical airfilter? I have a K&N drop in filter with hole cut out of the bottom half of the airbox. This is really a cheap mod with good results. The Bosch P+4s will give smoother running engine with quicker starts.

I think the biggest bang for the buck would be headers and a high performance muffler. Next, concentrate on intake. After you add the big components, look into getting a new chip programmed to take advantage of the modifications you made. The truth is, horse power is not cheap. You can capture some HP by just making sure your engine is tuned correctly. New spark plugs, wires and filters. Use the octane recommended for your truck and never higher (unless you have the mods and chip to use it). Also, you can have a ton of HP but without the proper gearing, it won't make any difference. And of course, the gearing you use depends on if you want 0-60, top end, rock crawling or a nice mix of all.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

spark plugs will give better horse power>>!??! what about wires and ignition

Back