How To: California Smog and "Evap Test" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: California Smog and "Evap Test"

They do test the cap..well they are spose too, my guy just pulls one out of a drawer:D

I actually had to buy a new cap for the GF's Avalon this year because the cap failed the test. So they do test them where I go.

It will be interesting this year to test the Explorer, because I believe they are now testing for NOx - previously they only tested HC and CO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cost to get an out of State Explorer to pass CA inspection

I am moving to California and trying to determine if it is worth moving my 96Explorer with me. It will cost $800 to ship it and more importantly I am wondering roughly how much it would cost me to get it to pass California State inspection for emisions.

...I sent a pm to someone who recently did this. I am hoping he will post an answer for you soon...;)

My Explorer passed again with very low readings for HC - it is running very well with 119k. They still did not test for NOx, just HC and CO.

I am moving to California and trying to determine if it is worth moving my 96Explorer with me. It will cost $800 to ship it and more importantly I am wondering roughly how much it would cost me to get it to pass California State inspection for emisions.

If you really like your explorer then by all means YES.

Cost to get it to pass? Not more than your normal tune-up cost. I actually drove my 1997 mountaineer from Virginia to California in 4 days with just a normal tune-up as preparation for the trip. I registered and smog checked it within 1 week of settling down in CA and it passed with flying colors with all marks well within the passing grade that the smog guy actually was suprised at the results.

Things to check would be the PCV and the gas cap (check if the seal is still good). If you have the CEL on, then take care of that too.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that helps a lot. For some reason I had the impression that bringing my 1996 explorer that was sold in NJ would have emissions equipment that would not allow it to pass in Califorina. I assumed it would cost me thousands to get it to pass California smog requirements.

My car passed PA inspection recently so I assume it is running well. I just thought that would not be enough for California.

I brought a 1993 Mazda Navajo (Ford Explorer Sport) from Nebraska, with Federal Emissions. Since it's was a 49 state vehicle, the test results are for the 49 state vehicle.. Even though it didn't meet California Smog at the time of manufacture.

A bump and vent!

Man I hate Calif's new cat law grrrrrr. The prices are like crazy for a Calif cat vs. a 49 state one/ matters not direct fit or universal. I know I am going to have to put at lest one on the front on as some years back you could and the shop did replace the back one and punched out the front one because of how the pipe there is wide and flat so they did that to make it a pass threw pipe with the one cat replacing the two stock ones and I think that may be the problem in why I have in past years just passed with each time getting closer and closer to failing on the low speed Nox test Grrrr. the only ways to lower it is with a new EGR some thing mine never had from new , decarbonizes the motor (done each time before testing and or new cats . here the magnaflow universal is $200 plus and that is just for the part were you can get a 49 state one for less then $100 and have enough change for a tank of gas almost . what a rip off!

...Get ready for the new Smog test for 2011...

..."Cheaper, tougher smog checks promise to reduce pollution, supporters say"
http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_16370690

...It says 32 States already use this but all the reports I've heard say only 23 States..:dunno:

...Get ready for the new Smog test for 2011...

..."Cheaper, tougher smog checks promise to reduce pollution, supporters say"
http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_16370690

...It says 32 States already use this but all the reports I've heard say only 23 States..:dunno:

I heard about this, but I'm not sure why they went with 2000 and newer .vs '96, which would be the first year of OBD2. and what does this mean for motor swaps? If I put in a 2k+ motor, then no sniff test? Also I heard they were talking about going to yearly, vs. bi-yearly:rolleyes:

...I too heard it would be yearly and that is another reason why it will be cheaper...

...It seems to be hard to find real information on this as all the reports have tidbits and contradictory reports...What I did hear was that the test stations will no longer have to purchase the software at a cost of $1000 and it will be given to them for free...But, they will now need to buy the test equipment at a cost of $3000...

...They also mentioned stiffening up the fines for Smog Stations...They have mentioned in several of the reports that this takes place in January of 2011 but they probably won't start the testing until that summer...

...Supposedly, the sniffer is out if the vehicle has a computer...I would think they are referring to ODBII...:dunno:

...As usual, I think they got a Bill passed and the details they will play it by ear or, until they can figure out how to make it more profitable for California...

simpsons_mr_burns_excellent.jpg

Looking at the PDF file on the BAR web site:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/Bar2012/index.html

It looks like the new test using OBD2 won't be implemented until 2013. Ha Ha. They can't test my hybrid until they start using OBD2. :p: :D

I am in the process of trying to get my new to me 1997 Mountaineer thru CA smog. The cable that carries the CEL wire doesn't seem to have that particular wire. I'll be looking thru the schematics tonight and see WTF.

My biggest problem to date with CA Smog is the EGR and DPFE sensor. It fails every few years. But after that, it's a matter of waiting for the P1000 code to clear.

I failed the Nox test today. Do I need cats?

...Check the link in the first post..;)

Its that time again..Ranger was below normal across the board. They couldn't believe how clean it's emissions were and not counting for so many miles on the truck.

The Ranger however failed with hi nox at 15 mph. My emissions buddy says its not running high enough fuel thru the cat for the cat to activate and burn it. This has been an issue since day one and even after I replaced the cat back in '08 iirc. (Hi Nox at 15 mph but barely passing)

Option is to get a new cat at $220-$250.

Good news, I only need 1 cat
Bad news, Since my 95 is true ODBII, the cat is $80 more than a non ODBII 95 Ranger :(

and what makes it worse, the non-odbII cat is identical to the obdbII cat, except for the lettering, and the paperwork you are supposed to file with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep...my guy had to call to verify why there were matching part and CARB numbers for two different cats..

Back