• Register Today It's free!

Relay Clicking under hood

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4x4
Hey guys, quick question. I have a 2001 Ex Sport 4x4 with 82,000 mi. For some reason lately I have noticed a lot of clicking of the relays under the hood. Should i be hearing these things click so loudly with the windows up? I havent narrowed it to a particular relay but i notice it most when at a stop light or stopped at a stop sign. (basically at idle)

Nothing strange to report with the vehicle other than a recent decrease in gas mileage. (due for plugs, wires, and a fuel filter)

Just wondering if something is wrong or are the under hood relays just really loud when opening and closing.

Thx in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Relays are audible, but I don't know about loud. I don't think there would be a cause for concern unless they actually aren't working.

Other than than the only other thing to do would be to just replace them. But again, if they are working, no reason to just throw parts at the explorer.

My money would be on the AC compressor cycling. It's unlikely you'd hear a relay in a fuse box over the sound of the motor.

Thx for the replys. It very well could be the A/C compressor but I do hear it clicking even when the defroster in not in use. Come to think of it I have noticed it does it when I take my foot off the gas/apply the brake.

Is it something I should be concerned about such as a warning of impending part failure? Thanks again for the responses. :salute:

Thx for the replys. It very well could be the A/C compressor but I do hear it clicking even when the defroster in not in use. Come to think of it I have noticed it does it when I take my foot off the gas/apply the brake.

Is it something I should be concerned about such as a warning of impending part failure? Thanks again for the responses. :salute:
The AC compressor will run in all HVAC settings EXCEPT Floor as long as it's above (roughly) 50 degrees outside.

Hello, I have a 2002 Sport Trac, when I turn on the ac I can here the loud clicking noise, when I check the ac compressor, when it cycles that is what causes my loud click, also my ac is not cold. When I turn off the ac the clicking stops. I can watch the ac compressor and see when it cycles and clicks, about every 3 seconds, what could be wrong. Thanks.

If your compressor is cycling and there is no cold air, you're most likely either out of freon, or have a leak causing it to have lost freon. The compressor will cycle when the system is low...

If your compressor is cycling and there is no cold air, you're most likely either out of freon, or have a leak causing it to have lost freon. The compressor will cycle when the system is low...

freon? are we in the 1800's? R164a

Back