Remin 'Real Carbon Fiber' interior trim kit install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remin 'Real Carbon Fiber' interior trim kit install

explosportguy

Reaction score
City, State
Catskill Mtns, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Installed my Remin "real carbon fiber' interior trim kit today (and it is - real carbon fiber - under the typical flexible plastic-coat. Very happy with the result. I've done several of these across the years and the Remin kit is really well done. Every piece I used fit perfectly, but I did trial fit some of the other pieces just for info and they were a 'reasonable' fit but not perfect. I'm mega **** about these things, so IMHO most people would be happy with the fit. Overall the pieces are as good a fit as any other kit I've ever installed.

To get the nine pieces I needed, I had to order the complete kit + the 'wood panel cover' kit (in the Sport's case the latter kit is used for the 'metallic' carbon fiber looking weave inserts on the dash and doors). So sixty-four pieces ordered to get the nine I needed.

The kit came well packaged. Three layers of trim mounted on sticky board with the three layers held apart by little white spacers (excuse the mess, we're moving) :

original.gif

There are some pics of the results below. Points to note :

1) the curved pieces on the front doors were a you-know-what to get right. A hair dryer might have helped, but I soldiered through without one (it was about 83 degrees F during the install).

2) I really took a lot of time to trial fit and practice the placement. My goal was to end up with an even silver border around each side of each piece and I made it :thumbsup:

3) I ordered and used 3m adhesive promoter. The pieces mounted on the silver painted plastic didn't really need it, but the rear A/C control and the four pieces which mounted over the metal inlays did need it. WARNING - the adhesive promoter can permanently deform and / or discolor the surface you apply it to. Be sure you want to do it, and do it right the first time.

4) Anywhere the Ford "CF Metal" was showing around the edges was painted with a Ford metallic gray touch up paint. This knocked down the shine and bought the entire interior into more or less one color family. It's the little details that make or break these installs.

5) Be careful bending the pieces, they are flexible, but the plastic clear coat will crack if you push them too far.

5) My objective was to get rid of the metal "CF"simulated inserts and give the interior a more cohesive look. YMMV, but i'm very happy with the result. Great 3D effect when the light shifts.

Here are the pics. I'll add more comments if anything else comes to mind. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hmmm, maybe I'll stick some Magnaflows on next just to bring the tone up a notch or two.

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good!
Thanks Shadow. I'm really happy with the outcome. Probably do the HIDs or Magnaflows next. Decisions, decisions.

Looks great!

I was thinking of going with one of those kits myself in Piano Black.

Looks great!

I was thinking of going with one of those kits myself in Piano Black.
Hi BlackJac, Thanks! Ebony Zebra (synthetic wood) and Piano Black were on my short list along with the carbon fiber. I like the cf in my wife's S5, so I finally decided to go with it. The S5's cf has a smaller weave which I actually like better than my Remin kit, but the Remin kit still looks really good.

Yeah, I have a full CF kit in my wife's 2004 Acura TL and it looks real nice.

Very nicely done. You are an artist at what you have completed!

Very nicely done. You are an artist at what you have completed!
Thanks Langla, your compliment is appreciated but anyone that is patient can come up with a good result :thumbsup:

Back