remote start/alarm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

remote start/alarm

evoq007

Reaction score
City, State
Boxford, MA(Home); Rochester, NY(School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hey guys i was wonderin how hard it would be to install my own remote start...i have a 96 with the factory alarm...i dont think i have to worry about the coded key thing right....this is the system i want

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/...001&storeId=10001&productId=1613995&langId=-1

and im wondering how hard it would be to install, ive installed my HU and my speakers, and aux lights...so im kinda ok with electronics. Just wondering about other people suggestions, and if i do have an installer do it, how much would they charge to install it roughly.. thanks

Scott

I am sure if you are good with electronics they can be done, but I myself would not take on a project like this. I would screw something up. How much is this system? I know I can get a remote start(with LCD keychain and alarm) around here starting at $350 installed with a lifetime warranty. There are also remote starts without the alarm or lcd keychain(just remote start and keyless entry) that do a good job and they are $250 installed. These all have about 2000 feet of range. They are Astro-Start brand.

Just curious how much you would be saving?

I can find that system on the net for about 160....i went to the local tweeter and they wanted 500 for a an lcd install....lol screw that...ill search for some more auto stores....i might attempt it, but i dunno.

Wow, $500???? That is a lot of money. Maybe someone on the board will respond with one they have installed themself and give you some hints on doing it yourself.

Good luck! They are nice to have though! Especially up here in ND where the temps are sometimes below 0!

Back