What do I need to install a new Head Unit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do I need to install a new Head Unit?

mjoyal4

Reaction score
City, State
Somewhere, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Was looking around and I want to get the Sony Xplod CD receiver.

What I am confused on is what additional parts am I going to need to install it? I hear about mounting brackets and wire harnesses, but I'm not sure where exactly to get those and what parts I'm going to need.
And because the system is half the size of the current one in my truck, I'll have a gap. What should I put there?

Thanks guys in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

walmart or stereo store has a adapter you can install to make up thew gap area

Online audio retailers have info on what fits and what doesn't as well as the installation kits and wiring adapters required.

Here are the "what fits" pages for a few:

Online Car Stereo, Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix

Hope this helps out!

Hey guys, I really appreciate the help you've given me.
I've just found out about some money problems in my family.. I could live without a new CD receiver and save $100-$150 right now.

So all I have to ask is it possible to take the stock faceplate off and change the bulbs to LEDs? I saw (i think it was) 3 gold screws holding the face-plate onto the unit but I don't know what'll happen if I take it apart. I don't feel like breaking stuff.

Once your cash problems settle down, you may want to check out www.crutchfield.com. You get specific harnesses and mounting kits (to fix the gap) based on whatever vehicle you choose free with your purchase, as well as free shipping.

Back