• Register Today It's free!

Remote start issues

Chadman

Reaction score
City, State
Sussex
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer sport
Hello all, I have a 2016 explorer sport, when using the remote start the heated seats and wheel will not activate, when you get in the vehicle and press start the cooled seats turn on. The dealer had it for three days, reprogrammed modules, checked settings and nothing. They were working with ford engineers the whole time and can not find the issue. In short ford came back and said as long as the seats and wheel come on when you start the vehicle and turn them on they are good with that. Living in Wisconsin in the winter the auto setting for the seats and wheel would be nice. If anyone has any input that would be great. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is your Climate Control set AUTO? If so then your system isn't working as it should, despite what ford said. The following is from the 2016 Manual.

In cold weather, the system sets to 72°F
(22°C). The heated seats are set to high
(if available, and AUTO is on in the
information display). The heated rear
window and heated mirrors turn on.

Is it possible the system is set to Last Settings and that you last used the cooled seats?

Peter

Hello all, I have a 2016 explorer sport, when using the remote start the heated seats and wheel will not activate, when you get in the vehicle and press start the cooled seats turn on. The dealer had it for three days, reprogrammed modules, checked settings and nothing. They were working with ford engineers the whole time and can not find the issue. In short ford came back and said as long as the seats and wheel come on when you start the vehicle and turn them on they are good with that. Living in Wisconsin in the winter the auto setting for the seats and wheel would be nice. If anyone has any input that would be great. Thanks
Did you ever get a solution to this? We just bought a 2016 and it behaves the same. If remote start is used my cooled seats activate, even in freezing temps. If you get in and cold start it manually, it will remember we had heated seats on last. Issue is only with remote start.

Did you ever get a solution to this? We just bought a 2016 and it behaves the same. If remote start is used my cooled seats activate, even in freezing temps. If you get in and cold start it manually, it will remember we had heated seats on last. Issue is only with remote start.
Just as an FYI, the member you are asking was last seen here on May 11, 2022, so may no longer be following.
I'm guessing that you have the HVAC on 'Auto' when remote starting. As for the cool seats coming ON in "freezing temps", both the heated and cooled seats have temperature parameters during which they are supposed to work. I believe that is in the manual.
Do you have anything that you leave plugged into either the power points or USB ports.

Peter

Just as an FYI, the member you are asking was last seen here on May 11, 2022, so may no longer be following.
I'm guessing that you have the HVAC on 'Auto' when remote starting. As for the cool seats coming ON in "freezing temps", both the heated and cooled seats have temperature parameters during which they are supposed to work. I believe that is in the manual.
Do you have anything that you leave plugged into either the power points or USB ports.

Peter
We have tried AUTO and Last Used Settings, behaves the same. The temps are already in the 20s here and the cooled seats come on every time we want to remote start. I have to walk out and manually push start it to have the heated seats come on. We don’t leave any devices plugged in, we leave a cable plugged in but that shouldn’t do anything.

Try removing the cable if that's possible and try it again. Some members have had issues with remote starting if something is plugged it. Not saying that is the case here but if can unplug it and the issue is still there, that eliminates a possibility.

Peter

Try removing the cable if that's possible and try it again. Some members have had issues with remote starting if something is plugged it. Not saying that is the case here but if can unplug it and the issue is still there, that eliminates a possibility.

Peter
I’ll try that and report back but I’m skeptical that’s the issue.

Back