Remote Start shuts off when unlocking doors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start shuts off when unlocking doors

ztekdesign

Reaction score
City, State
Shawano WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Anyone else have issues where all of a sudden the remote start will shut off when you unlock the doors with the fob? Our remote start was working just fine the last two years. All of a sudden this year anytime you start the car with the remote and then unlock the doors with the fob is shuts off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried using a second remote?

Have you tried using a second remote?
Yes, I tried the other remote start fob that I have and it does the same thing. My system has the ford VSS security module with the long range remotes.

Hmmm dealer installed (if so how long ag) or DIY?

Hmmm dealer installed (if so how long ag) or DIY?
I installed the module and antenna and then the Dealer programmed and set it up. It was a simple plug and play install. It's been installed and working for 2 years. The engine starts but it just shuts off if you unlock the doors with the normal fob. Never did that before.

I installed the module and antenna and then the Dealer programmed and set it up. It was a simple plug and play install. It's been installed and working for 2 years. The engine starts but it just shuts off if you unlock the doors with the normal fob. Never did that before.
Please add the trim level of the Explorer to your profile so it show in the margin when you post. This can be useful information.
Do you have the keyless entry (door handle) as on the Limited? If so, have you tried unlocking the door that way or with the Securicode pad to see if the engines still turns off?

Peter

Please add the trim level of the Explorer to your profile so it show in the margin when you post. This can be useful information.
Do you have the keyless entry (door handle) as on the Limited? If so, have you tried unlocking the door that way or with the Securicode pad to see if the engines still turns off?

Peter
I do have the door entry key pad. I will try that when I get a chance and see what happens. I am also going to try and unlock using a key and see if it does it.

Was this the kit where you remove the OBDII connector and add a Y shape harness in between?

Was this the kit where you remove the OBDII connector and add a Y shape harness in between?

No, this kit was installed with a Y harness going into the TPMS module behind the center counsel.

I do have the door entry key pad. I will try that when I get a chance and see what happens. I am also going to try and unlock using a key and see if it does it.
So last night I tried the door keypad and it unlocked the doors and the vehicle stayed running. Then I put the key in, shut it off and tried it again. Worked just fine.
This morning I used the remote start and as soon as I touched the Keypad on the door the engine shut off. After I got to work I did a master reset on the Sync System. maybe that thing is causing issues. It's been a gremlin it's entire life with the Climate Control and Radio. I usually do a master reset every few month but haven't had to the last 6 months.

So last night I tried the door keypad and it unlocked the doors and the vehicle stayed running. Then I put the key in, shut it off and tried it again. Worked just fine.
This morning I used the remote start and as soon as I touched the Keypad on the door the engine shut off. After I got to work I did a master reset on the Sync System. maybe that thing is causing issues. It's been a gremlin it's entire life with the Climate Control and Radio. I usually do a master reset every few month but haven't had to the last 6 months.
Not sure if you've read the following thread or not; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-disconnecting-negative-battery-cable.427676/
A battery disconnect should be a last resort I think. There is no guaranty it will solve the issue either.

Peter

I think you may have an issue with the BCM. Your factory non alarm system has the BCM connected to the TPMS module and the TPMS module reads the keyless entry signals and passes them to the BCM.

What you did when you installed the Y harness is bypass the TPMS reciever and using the new module as a reciever (TPMS tire readings still work).

This module communicates to the BCM the RKE (remote keyless entry) data instead of the TPMS module and the BCM interprets this information to decide what to do next. The BCM can control the locks itself or it passes on to the PCM to ground the starter relay and start the engine.

BCM also has the Keypad directly tied into it.

I think you need to get an OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter ($80) and download Forscan (free) and scan your car for Ford specific codes. You may have a BCM error code of some sorts. If you don't and want to try replacing the BCM you can use the adapter and Forscan to program the new BCM to your car.

Back