remove bumper cover to change out hitch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

remove bumper cover to change out hitch?

trayson

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
Do you HAVE to remove the rear bumper cover in order to remove the factory hitch (so I can replace it with a factory 2" receiver hitch).

Obviously if I can swap out the hitch w/o removing the bumper cover, life will be easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the shop manual the cover has to come off.

trayson, what are you towing? Just curious, I was planning on putting the ground force springs and 20's on my ex, but also decided on buying a boat. The boat I want would require a 2" hitch, I wasnt sure if the springs and 20's would allow for towing?

elk93001 said:
According to the shop manual the cover has to come off.

Yep, you're right.

I replaced my class II hitch tonight with my "wrecking yard" class III.

I used the Factory Service Manual on DVD-Rom to give me the step by step instructions to do the job.

1) Remove tail lights (two screws on inside of hatch opening)

2) Remove 6 different screws from sides of bumper cover (two are in the top corner of the cover, one is at the very bottom of the bumper on the sides--look at it from laying on the ground to remove these two)

3) Remove the little plastic pins that hold the cover on (there's about 9 of them)

4) Lift up on the corners of the bumper cover, then pull the cover straight back to remove.

5) undo the pigtail for the trailer wiring.

6) Undo the 6 bolts for the hitch, slide straight back to remove.

It really wasn't that hard, but I took my time and somehow I missed removing 2 screws so it took longer. I'm very happy it's changed out now.

By the way, the Class III is in fact beefier than the class 2. The class 3 uses a run of 2" square tubing throughout the hitch (side-to-side), whereas the class 2 uses more of a C-channel that has some metal welded to the back of it in the center. If you look at them side by side, you will be able to see the difference.

dannyb420 said:
trayson, what are you towing? Just curious, I was planning on putting the ground force springs and 20's on my ex, but also decided on buying a boat. The boat I want would require a 2" hitch, I wasnt sure if the springs and 20's would allow for towing?

Right now we tow a tent trailer... It weighs 2000 pounds or less. Not a big deal. I'm sure it'll be fine for something little like my tent trailer. I've also got a little utility trailer that weighs next to nothing.

However, ALL my drawbars I own are 2".

And, I have a couple hitch racks that are also 2".

Finally, my tent trailer uses the 7-pole round trailer plug (which includes a hot lead so that I can power my fridge on my trailer off 12v while towing).

I'm sure I'll trailer a boat from time to time (I have friends that I go camping with that tow their boat with their motorhome. It's a lot more convenient to trailer the boat in and out with my rig rather than having them move their motorhome each time.)

Trayson,
hey, thanks for that writeup on how to change out the hitch. My Ebay hitch should arrive in a few days. I sure hate having to remove the rear bumper cover, but your post will make it a lot easier. I am not sure how I am going to do the wiring yet. My boat trailer only uses the flat 4 style plug. I'm not sure where I can mount the stock 4 plug that is on our Explorers. I'm a **** type who can't stand things that don't have a proper place, so no hanging wires for me!
I sure look forward to having this hitch, and glad you guided me to the listing on ebay. Any more suggestions you think of are most welcome!
Thanks,
Ken

I just saw an adapter from the flat 4 to a 7pin. At NAPA.

When they are factory equiped with the class III 2 inch receiver they come with the 4 pin to 7 adapter tossed in the back. So picking up the proper one is no problem at most auto stores. I picked up the adapter to hook to the round plug on my trailer that has electric brakes. There are a few different adapters for the 7 pin round plug to fit most any trailer you may be towing.

Guys,
I got my new class III yesterday from my Ebay purchase. Perfect condition. I just noticed a new Explorer Class III with oil cooler, wire harness, plug, etc...whole kit for about $275 buy it now price. Seems like a darn good deal. It's being offered from one of my favorite sellers...Bones Enterprises. I have bought a lot of auto stuff from them on Ebay. Top notch OEM discount supplier.
Anyway....I am familiar with all the adapters out there. I picked up a flat 4 pin to flat 4/7 pin adapter kit today. The trouble I am having is how I am going to attach it to the new hitch. The hitch's have that round lipped area for the plugs to sit in. I'm not sure how to attach/retain the plug in this hole? I'm sure there is a logical way to mount it, but beats me. I notice the new adapter kit includes a L shaped bracket. Any use for that?
How does the original OEM 7 pin attach to the class III hitch? Maybe that could give me some clues?
Have a great weekend.
Ken

Yep, you're right.

I replaced my class II hitch tonight with my "wrecking yard" class III.

I used the Factory Service Manual on DVD-Rom to give me the step by step instructions to do the job.

1) Remove tail lights (two screws on inside of hatch opening)

2) Remove 6 different screws from sides of bumper cover (two are in the top corner of the cover, one is at the very bottom of the bumper on the sides--look at it from laying on the ground to remove these two)

3) Remove the little plastic pins that hold the cover on (there's about 9 of them)

4) Lift up on the corners of the bumper cover, then pull the cover straight back to remove.

5) undo the pigtail for the trailer wiring.

6) Undo the 6 bolts for the hitch, slide straight back to remove.

It really wasn't that hard, but I took my time and somehow I missed removing 2 screws so it took longer. I'm very happy it's changed out now.

By the way, the Class III is in fact beefier than the class 2. The class 3 uses a run of 2" square tubing throughout the hitch (side-to-side), whereas the class 2 uses more of a C-channel that has some metal welded to the back of it in the center. If you look at them side by side, you will be able to see the difference.
Thanks for the info im picking up an 04 n want to replace the hitch on it. I want to because we want to get on of those adapters that allows u to have 2 things hooked up at the same time. I think im gonna go with the one where it has the riser and the 2" receiver above the ball mount. havent been able to find a 1.25" mount with a 2" riser or what ever its called.

Just did the swap today on my 02 XLT. Local LKQ Pull a part has 40 percent off sale on holiday weekends. Picked up the Class III bumper/receiver with wiring harness for 26 bucks. Took about an hour. And of course pulling it myself yesterday helped me learn what screws and fasteners needed to be removed on the salvage 03 explorer

Back