• Register Today It's free!

Remove Factory Airbox from 04

bwatson283

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT 4.6 v8 Sport
I have a 04 v8 and i want to remove the airbox to do some modifications. I had the hose and the filter off, and wasa trying the get the box out. It didnt seem like it wanted to move. DO i just have to use some more elbow grease? On the 04 i saw the two gromets on the fenderwell, and kinda saw something in the bottom of the box. Do i just need to pull up and to the side with lots of elbow grease?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its held in with rubber grommets on the bottom also, spray some WD 4 on them and pull like hell, I used a small crow bar

You first have to lift up then slide it out. The tab that goes into the gromets on the bottom doesn't clear so well when you lift so it feels like its still stuck. Just lift up and slide out with a good yank.

I used a screwdriver and pried one out at time. It feels like you are going to break it before it pops out. Weird design, but it works.

What modifications are you doing? I have been looking at different things myself.

Thanks for sny info you can provide.

Just did a semi swiss chees box.I did not think it was needed to go overkill with holes. I have already intalled my K&N flat filter. So I removed the airbox. I removed the tube that is in the airbox and takes in air from behind headlight. turns out that tube is tapered. It gets smaller as it goes towards the headlight. I wonder why they took a nice big opening and funneled it to a smaller opening?

So without the tube the airbox has a oval opening about 3 1/2" wide and 2 3/4" high. The tapered end of the tube that reached behind headlight for cool air was 2 1/2" wide and just about 1 3/4 " high.

To add to the breathability of the filter I made two 2 1/2" diameter holes along the front of the airbox just the right of the oval. I will reset the pc so it can learn any new airflow changes.

I was averaging just about 18mpg highway before the K&N and Swiss Cheese mod. I have some trips upstate coming and will see if I get any changes. Hope I get some mpg gains.

Best mod ever...my truck sounds sweeettt

Back