Remove Roof Sunshade? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove Roof Sunshade?

I recently ripped off the saggy piece of cloth that was still attached to the sun screen after all the foam disintegrated.
It's currently just it's natural black plastic.

(I've told myself that) I'm going to stick some cloth onto some foam on a card and stick that to the plastic.

I used a shopvac and brush attachment to rid myself of the foam dust a year or so ago. I claimed for a long time id recover it but still havent bothered with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still haven't had time to recover my headliner and the sunroof shade but I did have a duh moment today and pulled the complete spare sunroof assembly I've had for several years in the rafters of my garage down and low and behold it has a nice shade , so an hour later and its been swapped into my sport and no more naked plastic shade rattling

FYI, when the headliner starts to sag you cannot simply re-glue it. The reason why is that the material was originally boned to a thin piece of foam and the foam is what got glued to the cardboard-like headliner. The reason it starts to sag is because the foam disintegrates over time. The best way to repair the headliner is to purchase new foam-backed material, scrape off all the old foam from the card-board and glue on the new foam-backed material with the appropriate adhesive, which s a contact cement.

I haven't had time to do my own but I did just do my brothers headliner a few weeks ago , his 97 xlt and the shell is worse than cardboard its compressed fiberglass insulation and it was a long messy nightmare getting all the foam off , maybe some sort of solvent would have helped but we just kept at it and it turned out well

I haven't had time to do my own but I did just do my brothers headliner a few weeks ago , his 97 xlt and the shell is worse than cardboard its compressed fiberglass insulation and it was a long messy nightmare getting all the foam off , maybe some sort of solvent would have helped but we just kept at it and it turned out well

Yes, it's a time consuming lousy job, but if you take your time surprisingly good results are possible.

Thanks troverman, this is a great how to for the sunroof or shade pieces. I have a slight leak from both of my 98's, and one needs new fabric also. It's time to pull the head liners and recover at least one of them. This helps a lot with the sunroof parts.

I fixed mine last night. Here's roughly what you do:

Start with the roof tilted up and the shade back. There is an inner black plastic piece that doesn't tilt up with the roof but does slide back with it. It looks like a big "U-shape" that surrounds the roof opening and the open part of the "U" faces the back of the car. First remove each end of the "U" by simply pulling straight out; they are held by clips. (If you are removing the right side you pull left; left side you pull right). Once the ends are removed, close the roof and then retract it about halfway open. You will see four phillips screws to remove the rest of this piece; the screws are on the front edge of the actual sunroof. Remove this piece and set aside.

Next, return the roof to the tilted up position. On the lower left and right edges of the actual sunroof is a short black plastic trim piece. Both of these trims need to be removed and there are three snap-in plastic pins that hold them in place. Start by pulling / prying on the edge that is tilted up, once you get the first one out the others come easy. Be careful not to break these, I broke one.

Once the above trims are removed, you can see the sunroof bolts. There are three per side. Use an 8mm socket to remove these. Once they are all out, gently push the whole glass upward and off. I set my glass roof in the backseat while doing the rest of the work.

Now, stand on your door sills or a step ladder so you can see above the roof. There is a plastic tray that catches water on the rear portion of the roof opening and this must be removed. It is held on by two Torx screws, I think T25. Mine were pretty loose anyway, but once these two are out, simply pull this out. I had to move the roof to the 'closed' position to get it out, even though the sunroof is no longer attached.

Now you're ready to remove the shade. Pull it all the way to the closed position and from above the car look down. You will see four clips attach the shade to little feet which ride in the metal guide track. I had to pop the two clips on one side off and then you can lift the shade on that side up and just slide the other side out. Use a little screwdriver to pop the clips off on one side. You might be able to just shove the shade to one side and gain enough clearance to just lift it out, but I actually had to remove two clips. Once the shade is out, 6 little phillips screws remove the plastic handle / vent on the shade. I cleaned mine and reglued the cloth with fabric / tacky glue. Make sure not to use too much or the glue will soak through and not look great when it dries. Also, when removing the plastic handle, every last plastic clip broke on mine during removal. The plastic is very brittle. The screws pretty much hold it in place though, plus I glued my edge back down anyway.

When you put the shade back into the track, pop the two clips back on so all four are on. Put one side in first, then push towards that side. This gives almost enough clearance to let the other side drop in. The clips are spring loaded, so just push them a little or flex the shade a little until you get them in. Then, just put everything back in the order you took it off.

The only thing to consider is sunroof alignment. The six 8mm bolts to remove the glass also adjust the up / down position of the roof. I put all six loosely back on, then shut the roof and tightened them up that way.

All in all, took me maybe two hours, now no more sagging cloth on the shade! Hope this helps.
It works thank you

Back