Removed the A/C compressor, lines and condensor today. ST's on a diet... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removed the A/C compressor, lines and condensor today. ST's on a diet...

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
I finally decided to remove the A/C compressor, lines and condenser from my ST today.

So after my #1, 2, 4 & 6 spark plug wires arcing like crazy and not being able to easily access the #1 wire/ plug I did tons of research on many different sites. I found out that I could completely remove the compressor without affecting anything with the HAVC system.

I found their are a couple different things to do once the compressor is gone as far as the Serpentine Belt goes. You can get a shorter belt for a 4.0L Ranger A/C delete (part #705K6 or 710K6) which both are 70.5" long, factory ST belt is 86.5" long. Or you can get a bypass pulley setup and use the factory length belt.

I'm not sure if the Ranger A/C delete heater box will fit the ST but it does fit the 1st Gen Explorer from what I've read. I don't see why it shouldn't fit but that's another project in the future.

I haven't weighed the parts removed but I know I shed quite a bit of weight, especially from the driverside, this will alleviate some of the "Ranger Lean", and also free up some power since there isn't as much drag on the motor.

I'm waiting for Performance Distributors to send me out some replacement wires. I'm gonna go to the parts store and get a shorter belt tomorrow, check all the gaps of the spark plugs and get everything back together.

Removing everything was pretty simple. Four bolts for the compressor, one bolt for the A/C line on the crossmember under the engine, two electrical clips on the compressor, one high pressure fitting on the a/c line, one bolt on the back of the compressor to remove the a/c line two bolts to remove the a/c lines from the condenser, two bolts for the condenser to the radiator support then just cap off the line at the heater box and tape off the electrical clips to keep the moisture out.

For anyone that doesn't use their A/C wanting to shed weight, add power and make working on the motor easier this is a great project to do.

For anyone looking for a good used compressor or hose, make an offer for both or each.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is my spring project,my ac doesnt work anyways might aswell get it gone.

Rebel, would this affect your truck passing inspection? My dad (he lives in PA) told me that since they changed the inspection laws, his cars have to have everything (including the AC system) that was originally there. I'm not sure if he was right about this or not. Do you know if this is true?

Not true. He went to the wrong garage that's just trying to get money out of him. You are supposed to have working wipers, windows, door locks, lights, etc.... But if it's not a "safety" issue then most places don't care. I'm in a custom truck club that does mods most would think wouldn't pass inspection but they do. Lights, brakes, horn and rust are the main key things they look for with inspection. Alot of places try to nickel and dime you to death over stupid stuff, gotta find a good shop that doesn't do that.

That's what I thought as he was telling me this. Thanks for answering my question.

Got the shorter belt this morning and ran the Trac down the road, it has better throttle response and definetly doesn't have as much drag on the motor like before. Heater, defrost, fresh air heat or cool works great.

Performance Distributors sent out the new replacement Live Wires and should be in today.

If anyone has any questions on how to do this just ask.

You know we're visual learners, so...

:ttiwwp:

Lol, worthless to me anyway. I like to keep my feet chilly in the summer, even if the top of my head is on fire from the open sunroof.:D

I have to upload pictures to photobucket, my albums on here are full.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Got the new Live Wires under warranty #1,2,4,6 on and the Trac is running great again. Runs better without the A/C crap compressor, lines and condenser on it.

How did you go about discharging the AC system? My AC compressor seized several years ago and i bypassed it, would like to get rid of the dead weight.

There are two pressure valves. One by the dryer/ heater box and one by the condenser, remove the caps and either stick a screwdriver in there to "slowly" release the pressure or if you have a valve stem tool you can "partially" unscrew the valve to "slowy release the pressure.

Or you can just loosen one of the lines "slowly" to realease pressure. I didn't have any preesure at all.

Thanks for the reply. I doubt that I have much pressure left in mine. Looks like I could have a new spring project.

It's actually really easy to do. Might wanna look into the Ranger A/C delete heater box to loose more weight and open up more space.

I will look into the ranger heater box, more space under the hood woud be nice.

Have you gained any mpgs by doing this? Did you get pictures yet? I'd like to see the engine bay with the compressor gone.

why not keep the compressor on there and bypass the clutch, that is what many jeep owners do for a on board compressor might not be a 10 sec tire fill but in a pinch can help

I thought about converting it over to a On Board Air setup, there's a write-up in the Modified 2nd Gen and in the Offroad section.

I have gained an extra mpg by doing this and shed around 100 lbs.. Damn, I never added pictures to this. I think I posted them in the other thread I made about this. Let me check.

Ok, here's a picture of the engine bay where the compressor was. I'll post more pictures when I upload them to P.B., my albums here are full.

picture.php

yeah i hear you buddy i did a ac delete on my old supercharged bonneville and it sure helps with economy and weight shedding specially if you remove all components to include the condenser, evaporater and lines

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm...another near future mod :) Wish I could get the pulleys done with this too. You have a link to the other thread you mentioned?

Back