Anyone completely remove the A/C Compressor and just block off the lines? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone completely remove the A/C Compressor and just block off the lines?

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok, after having to replace the spark plugs/ wires a couple times and just other things I've worked on the motor I'm ready to take off the A/C Compressor completely.

Got a couple questions...

1. Can this be done without screwing up the heating/ cooling system (computer, etc.)

2. Do they make a belt for a A/C delete 4.0L

3. What all would need to be done to make this possible

I figure if I this is possible then I'll shave off alot of weight from the frontend and have less drag on the motor. I don't use the A/C so it's just added weight and drag on the motor.

This is on my 2003 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L Job2 motor.

As much info with or without pictures, links to other threads, projects, sites would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

I havent gotten around to this myself yet, but this is what I've found out so far.

To answer your Questions;
1. Yes, I've been running with my AC compressor unpluged for years due to it haveing a bad bearing and find that the heater works better.

2. The 4.0 Rangers have AC optional (sorry havent looked into what the belt routing is on those yet) so start looking there.

3. That hinges on what the findings are on #2, should only be a belt or idler from a non AC 4.0 Ranger and maybe making a cover for the evaperator hole in the heater box. Other than that just a matter of evacuating the system and throwing parts over your shoulder.

Of coarse if yours has auto climate control that might cause a few unforeseen issues.

Thanks man. I'll look into the Ranger parts. I only really just wanna remove the compressor and lies but leave the heater box, atleast for now.

Thanks for the reply. I just removed the compressor, condenser and lines off today. I capped of the fitting until I get around to swapping out the heater box to a A/C delete Ranger box.

Back