Removed the A/C compressor, lines and condensor today. ST's on a diet... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removed the A/C compressor, lines and condensor today. ST's on a diet...

Sorry man, tired. What link are you asking about, the thread I read about this was on therangerforum.com.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, I had pictures but deleted them from my album to make room for others. I'll upload and post them tomorrow or Saturday. asap.

So I was looking under the hood at the compressor today and wouldn't it be possible to just bypass the AC with a shorter belt and not remove the compressor? In case one wanted to put the belt back on for a long road trip and then put the short one on for around town. I don't see any harm by doing this. Inputs?

I don't see why you couldn't do that as long as the shorter belt avoids the pulley for the A/C Compressor.

One more question. If I recall correctly, Aldive said that running with the ac on during a long road trip actually helps mpgs. How is that possible?

One more question. If I recall correctly, Aldive said that running with the ac on during a long road trip actually helps mpgs. How is that possible?

less wind resistance. with no ac, windows open, air comes into the vehicle, and uses the back glass as a stop.

I've never had any mpg differences between running with the windows up or down. Just my experience.

less wind resistance. with no ac, windows open, air comes into the vehicle, and uses the back glass as a stop.

That I knew. But when I'm on the highway I never use the ac and the windows are up.

check out mythbusters they did a test on MPG w/ windows and A/C the differences were so minimal that it is a toss up on what your personal preference is

check out mythbusters they did a test on MPG w/ windows and A/C the differences were so minimal that it is a toss up on what your personal preference is

While i love that show and truely appreciate the science behind the tests, they cant take into account all of the factors of every situation. When my explorer was stock i gained 1-2 mpg's with the air on at 70mph. with the 33's and stock gears i lose about that much with the air on. In my car i cant tell the difference because it is so small. I still run the AC in the explorer though, i think my comfort is well worth the cost. At the end of the day it is about the HP required to overcome the difference in air resistance VS the HP required to run the compressor. In my case running the AC causes it to downshift very easily

Back