Removing A/C system... need some tips. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing A/C system... need some tips.

sk1er17

My "Jeep Thing" itches...
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Ok this morning i went to jump start our boat and while my truck was idling in my driveway a huge green puddle appeared from under the middle of my engine compartment... and took a deep breath and looked- sure enough my water pumps shot.

So tuesday morning (hopefully before class starts at 1:00 45 minutes away) ill be replacing:
1-water pump
2-alternator (145k miles on my original and its making funny sounds. figure since i have to take it out to get to the w/p i might as well replace it)
3-remove A/C compressor

#3- my blend door doesnt work and the quick fix didnt fix it, and i never use my AC. On top of all that, my engine gets a lotta mud on it and thats my original compressor. So while i have everything apart id like to remove my A/C compressor as well.

Questions:
1) other than the compressor, how many other components of the a/c system can i remove in the engine compartment to clear it out?
2) anyone know what size belt i would need? (i figure the first 4 digits of the size will stay the same, just the last 3 would change for the length).
3)anything else i should do while i have it all apart? (i already put on a new fan clutch)

Back