• Register Today It's free!

Removing A/C

elliott

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
About a year ago, my compressor blew up. My mechanic warned me that the compressor would fail in six months to a year (said he heard the bearings going out). After he told me how much it was to replace/rebuild, I said forget about it. Living in the Pacific NW, I have no need for A/C. I was wondering if it would cause any problems to remove all of the A/C system (allowing more air movement throughout the engine compartment and cleaning up the clutter)? I would have to get a shorter serpentine belt, correct?

I hear that when a compressor blows, the whole system sometimes needs replaced. Is that true? If so, what would I be looking at if I decided I wanted to fix things?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autozone has the shorter belt.PM MadMike he has done this before:D

To fix it, you'd need a new compressor, a new orfice tube, accumulator and a flush. the accumulator and the tube should run you less than 50 bucks total, (prices as of a couple years ago) you would most def, need the system flushed to clean out any metal that's worked around.

Other than that not much to get it back working.

yep auto zone has the shorter one, you get a little more power bypassing the compressor. I'm getting ready to get all the ac stuff out soon.

As sais before you will need a new accumlator and orfice tube, and depending on what shape you ac system was in before you may need other parts. And as madmike said you will get a bit more power if you remove the compressor due to less drive on the crank... all you have to do is goto autozone, pep boys, etc and tell them that you need a belt for an explorer/ranger with out A/C.

Chris

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think I'm going to worry about spending $$$ to replace the A/C on a 10 year old car. Especially since I'll hardly ever use it. I need all the HP I can get with this power starved setup.

hi dose any1 know how to ripout a/c on 2000 v6 shoc X if u have pics that would be even better

Back