Removing Cowl to access Air Inlet. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Cowl to access Air Inlet.

leadfootdriver

Reaction score
City, State
Westland, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0 FFV
So the Cabin Inlet is under the Cowl, but what will I find?
Can you see the Evaporator in there? Since there's no Filter, wouldn't a vacuuming be on the list to clear out 22 years of junk?
I've found that they are held in with Clips of some sort, so all I need to do is yank on them..
What say you?

If I remember right, there's one screw that needs to be removed -- -right in the middle of the two sections to join them. It's easy enough to do, and check for issues. Maybe there's leaves blocking the fresh air door from closing properly. But I wouldn't 'yank' -- 22 years of time can make plastic parts brittle. But yes, it is mostly 'clips'.

I removed them yesterday.. They just pop off real easy. No screws on mine. There were some twigs and pine needles under there, but no clear view of the Evap. There seemed to be a cover that goes to the Heater Box, but it was locked down with no screws.. I just left it alone.
The air path in is more towards the drivers side by the washer motor so definitely no clear path to the Evap.. Oh well..

I cleaned up the Cowls and hit them with Turtle Wax Trim Restore.. LOL They look great.

Back