• Register Today It's free!

Removing front axles

edwhitetail

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne NJ 08213
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The universal on one of the front axles has froze up.Is it a difficult job to pull these axles to replace the universals? Is there any written procedure ,like the one for cleaning auto locking hub,detailing the job? Thanks for any info Ed from South Jersey

The universal on one of the front axles has froze up.Is it a difficult job to pull these axles to replace the universals? Is there any written procedure ,like the one for cleaning auto locking hub,detailing the job? Thanks for any info Ed from South Jersey

GOod luck. Mine where a pain in the azz to pull out.. took a long pry bar and some brute force. Then My dad wanted to help put the caps back on the u joints and mmm well he killed one of the needle barrings for me.. so it rattles every once in a while..

getting the old ones out is a fun task as well. :) if u need hints just ask

You can't "pull" the passenger side axle out of the pumpkin w/out taking apart the front diff as there is a c-clip in there..

I "think" I saw a thread about changing the u-joints and they seperated the 2 pieces of the passenger side shaft (leaving the part held in by the c-clip)..

~Mark

Back