Removing Interior Get To Trans Access Plate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Interior Get To Trans Access Plate

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
A while back BT93 and I needed to remove his AWD transfer case to get the top bolts that holds the case to the trans, it is necessary to remove the front seats, pull the console and fold the carpet back.

You will start with something like this:

IMG_1066_Medium_.JPG

Remove the passenger side seat, start with the front two bolts-

IMG_1067_Medium_.JPG

Then the back two- They have covers over the bolts

IMG_1069_Medium_.JPG

IMG_1071_Medium_.JPG

The seat belt track has to be un bolted next- It takes a torx bit. There is a plastic plug over the actual screw. The cover needs to be twisted while prying out to remove it:

IMG_1072_Medium_.JPG

The bolt behind the plug is the same torx bit size, remove that bolt, then the plastic that covers the bolt.

IMG_1077_Medium_.JPG

Last thing before you remove the seat, there is an airbag connector that has to be disconnected.

IMG_1078_Medium_.JPG

Pull the seat out the door with the seat back leaned forward.

IMG_1079_Medium_.JPG

Same basic process for the drivers side seat, just make sure you disconnect the power seat connector if you have a power seat.

Now the console- Remove the message center or cubby holes by pulling out and up.

IMG_1081_Medium_.JPG

Disconnect the Message center connectors if you have them.

IMG_1082_Medium_.JPG

IMG_1083_Medium_.JPG

Remove the back section of the console, the part with the cup holders:

IMG_1084_Medium_.JPG

Under the cup holder are two bolts- I believe an 8mm fits them.

IMG_1086_Medium_.JPG

IMG_1091_Medium_.JPG

Now, at the front of the console are two bolts and a bulkhead connector.

Remove the two 8mm bolts and disconnect the bulkhead.

IMG_1087_Medium_.JPG

IMG_1089_Medium_.JPG

Sit behind the console, pull it straight back-

IMG_1092_Medium_.JPG

Console Out

IMG_1094_Medium_.JPG

Pull the carpet edge threshold cover off- it snaps in the floor board and on the B pillar

IMG_1095_Medium_.JPG

Remove the Kick panel cover. The passenger side pulls right off, the drivers side has a plastic push retainer.

IMG_1097_Medium_.JPG

IMG_1099_Medium_.JPG

IMG_1101_Medium_.JPG

Peel the carpet back- no need to remove it, just fold it back.

IMG_1104_Medium_.JPG

IMG_1105_Medium_.JPG

You can remove the cover now- 4 bolts.

IMG_1106_Medium_.JPG

Pry it gently with a screwdriver-

IMG_1110_Medium_.JPG

Cover off-

IMG_1112_Medium_.JPG

Now you can access Oxygen sensor connectors, transfer case bolts and various other things.

Many thanks to BT93 aka Brent for his help with this, he did all the work, I took the pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for this.

I am replacing the carpet, and this thread came in handy. It was perfect.

Thanks again.

I just posted looking for 02 connector access info and I think I found it.
This forum has saved me a lot of driveway anguish and a few bucks, too.

THANKS!

Thanks for this, I have a 99' XLT and I need to get the carpet out to fatmat it, I have everything out except the console. I have taken out those four bolts plus some more and I tried yanking on that thing for a good minute and it doesn't want to move. I wonder if maybe the 99's have an extra bolt or something holding it to the chassis.:rolleyes:

Thanks for this, I have a 99' XLT and I need to get the carpet out to fatmat it, I have everything out except the console. I have taken out those four bolts plus some more and I tried yanking on that thing for a good minute and it doesn't want to move. I wonder if maybe the 99's have an extra bolt or something holding it to the chassis.:rolleyes:

Well, don't forget the bolt that is in that fat wire harness. I did miss that my first tug. But after that, It slid right away.

After removing all the bolts, just sit/squat where the back seats were, hold the console from the front, and pull back towards you. It will slide right to you. If you need to, perhaps use a belt to wrap around the front of the console, and sit down where the rear seats were, and pull towards you.

Good luck. :)

Hmm, I did go back and loosen the bolt up as far as I could get it, but it won't come out, nor will the harness. Is there another release on the wire harness I'm not seeing? Also, when I'm pulling it feels pretty substantial whatever's holding up, those that bolt hold it to something maybe?

Well after taking a second look at that picture, it looks like the bolt doesn't come out and it does look like some side releases on that harness. I'll try those next.

EDIT: I eventually got it, it just took a good five minutes of pulling, I about fell into the cargo area when it finally gave. Haha. Anyways, thanks for the information and pictures!

finally fund what I am loking for , have a bad o2 sensor harness and need to get at it , and this solves what the stupid manual don't cover , thanks guys .

A little tip. If you just need to get to the access cover you can remove only the console and just use a utility knife to slice the carpeting in half over the top of the access panel. That way you can avoid removing the seats. I did this to mine and after the console is in place you would never know the carpet has been cut. Nice writeup by the way. :thumbsup:

knuckel buster heaven

this is the first time on this site and am glad i finally got here. i had completely taken apart the counsoule and it still didn't come out. after finding this site i put it all back together and just pulled it back and out. didn't remove the seats or carpet, just cut and tied it back together when i was done. great site, i'll be back

Do i really have to remove the seats to do this. I think if seats are all the way back there should be plenty of room to work.

That is one of the cleanest interiors I have ever seen. Thanks for this info.

It's not the lack of room that requires you to pull the seat. It's the pulling of the carpet back to get to the panel that requires you to remove the seat. You could pull ONE seat, fold the carpet back far enough to gain access to the panel, and do what you need to do.

But, removal of BOTH seats is the best way to keep it all clean. Think about it, you are working on the drivetrain of you vehicle, but you are still sitting INSIDE your car. Do you REALLY want to get "road grime" on the carpet and seats? MountaineerGreen didn't keep his interior THAT CLEAN just to destroy it while working on the transfercase.

Ryan

i cant reach my o2 sensor clip so i need to get to it this way. But ya if i was working on the transfer case yes i would remove everything

Nice Post, but what size exactly is the Torx bit? Thanks.

the torx bit size for the slide rack is a T50. I am in the process of removing my seats driver, pass., and rear.

I plan on doing a interior detailing....dang passenger side carpet has more drink stains then i thought.....

You can just slice the carpet over the panel and pull no seats... It's covered by the console anyway.

Thanks guys just what I needed, how toget to the o2 sensors and the reminder that we never should have left the horses and gone to cars.

Well, unless you've ever seen where your hand has to go to get to the O2 on a horse... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking to replace te O2 sensore preventetive. I unscrew evert screw shown, till I got to the "pull back the console".
Well - it didn't budge. Is like welded in place... So I put it back toghether.
Is there a chance that sliding holes are rusted? Are those exposed to the underside of the car?

Back