Removing manual hubs 91 Sport

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I have read the thread on replacing the front bearings. It lists how to remove the auto hubs. However doesn't touch on the manual locking hubs. I am needing to do the bearings in my son's 91 Sport. Anyone know of a write up on removing the manual hubs.

Thanks

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be following along. I have a '91 that was sitting for a while before I purchased it. When I was swapping Twheels (wheels/tires) with the wheel off the hat shaped piece with the lock knob fell right off. If I remember correctly I saw a nut locked down on a CV spindle. The inside of the front hub is splined. That all that I know about it and I'm sure that there are guys here that can direct you to the resources. Keep us posted.

Find and buy this exact type of socket, should be 10-15 bucks at the parts stores.
I'll try to find a thread to link.
IMG_0331.JPG

how many mm ?

That style socket will work too, but not as well. It's the same, except it does not have the fat lip around the opening, which really helps keep the socket from slipping off.
When you're trying to reach 150ftlbs, even the lipped style wants to slip.
I highly suggest buying the lipped style, it's no more expensive and just as readily available.

Back