removing transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing transmission?

reidk

Reaction score
I'm replacing the flex plate on my 1995 ford ranger 2 wheel drive extended cab truck. Do I need to remove the exhaust to pull the tranny? I've already busted one bolt where the pipes hook to the manifolds. I don't want to take the chance of busting anymore if I don't even need to remove the exhaust.

thanks
Reid

I have replaced the clutch on an 89 4WD 2.9L Ranger Supercab which requires the removal of the transmission. I was able to get the transmission out without removing the exhaust but I could not get it back in without removing the transmission. I was determined if I could get it out I should get it in without removing the exhaust. I wasted several hours then decided to remove the exhaust and the transmission went in without any problem.

I don't know if it works the same for an automatic transmission but my guess is you will need to remove the exhaust.

remove the y pipe, stabbing the manual trans with it in place is almost impossible, it takes like 10 minutes to remove, unless the bolts stick bad, then I just cut them

Ok I'll have to remove it. but I know that the bolts holding the y pipe to the catylitic converter are too rusty to remove so I'll have to cut them. I've already busted one bolt where the Y pipe attaches to the manifold. should I just cut the Y pipe off and re weld it later or take the chance of un bolting the Y pipe and breaking more bolts?

Back