Repair or cash it in?? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repair or cash it in??

The only way I'd buy a used SOHC is hearing it run,and crank up, especially that, that's a big sign. My old 2001 XLT 4.0 never made a hint of rattle even after an oil change, I think the timing chains were replaced, I know the engine was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good deal here:

1999 5.0L AWD Saleen Explorer
114,000miles
$5000

White with Tan leather interior and wood trim, sun roof, white aluminum rims, ground effects and a rear wing.

5.0L with Torque Monster Headers, Borla muffler, 90mm Lightning maf, MSD coil packs, drilled/slotted rotors all around.
New parts:
upper and lower ball joints both sides
tie rod ends
sway bar links w/bushings
ceramic brake pads
battery
Radiator
Fuel pump
Alternator

00H0H_dYReCEUb2I9_600x450.jpg

00y0y_8QhAulkjJ4H_600x450.jpg

1999 Saleen Explorer

Still for sale:

2001 5.0l Rwd Mountaineer 183,000mi
$2800
Torque Monster headers, fully loaded, leather interior, CD changer, Bilstien Shocks around with overloads on the back, tow hitch, currently registered til February 18, new brakes, good tires, AC works great, runs great and has plenty of power, call with any questions, 2800 or best, Troy show contact info
will trade for 4 seater side by side

00h0h_2cih1wbFaeV_600x450.jpg

2001 Mercury Mountaineer

That possible 1999 XP8 would be a good deal if it didn't have much rust. It doesn't have the XP8 front bumper, so it might be a clone or they had an accident and replaced the front bumper with a normal one. I could use that back bumper, and the six side pieces, but I'd have to sell the rest as a normal Explorer. I wish I could find one in the south like it for a decent price, the normal pricing just ruins the swap possibilities.

Thinking it got hit hard it the front and is possible a salvage title. Don't normally need to replace a radiator at 100,000mi., but you usually don't need to replace a fuel pump or alternator at that mileage either.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd buy it just to sell off all the saleen parts. That just might cover the cost of the truck from the prices I've seen! Wadda you think just the wheels, ground effects, side molding and wing would go for?

The parts have been virtually unseen in the last 5-10 years, it's very hard to guess what they would sell for now. The bumpers and wing used to be a close to $500 item, but the last I saw were near $250, that was almost five years back. The wheels are likely not authentic, the originals were recalled, they were magnesium and not strong enough for street use supposedly. I've read of two original sets of wheels, one member here found them low and put them on his white Limited.

That truck unfortunately doesn't have many of the XP8 parts, about half of them. The CF hood, steering wheel, mirror covers, front bumper of course, CF interior trim pieces, and supercharger are not in that one. I think I saw the pedal covers there. There were cocoa floor mats that most XP8'd had, but those were fragile and worn out if you find those.

That truck is probably only worth $1500 without the Saleen parts, guessing the chassis is rusty at the least. I have the pieces I wanted the most, but wouldn't mind finding the side pieces or a better rear bumper. The other parts would not bring enough, the truck selling price would make the deal expensive. You don't want to pay $3000+ for the parts in the end. Here's a picture I have of most of the main parts, a member 12 or so years ago sold it off then. I got the front bumper, and below is a picture showing the optional Recaro seats, those were super high, not many existed.

XP8 kit.jpg

XP8Recaro's.jpg

00w0w_7f5vB39ksBa_600x450.jpg

01313_gTqWiilaJhH_600x450.jpg

00q0q_leJxOJ4qbQq_600x450.jpg

Looks pretty clean. Fender badges are missing which tells me the front has been repainted.

There is also the rare borla catback, tmh's, saleen sway bars and gauges.

$2500-3500 is the going rate for a clean "low" mileage stock 5.0L. Headers, catback and front and rear sway bars would cost $1500-2000 depending on labor. If you could get $1600 out of the saleen body parts minus $100 to replace the rear bumper and side panels, you'd have $3500 into a nice explorer with most of the mods already done. Shift kit, 4.10's and a tune and beat the hell out if it for the next 100,000+ miles.

Ah, I forgot about the suspension bits. The sway bars, Bilstein shocks, lowering blocks etc, those are worth some money too if they are nice. The headers and Borla exhaust was popular and expensive when the XP8 was a hot topic. I can see those prices making the truck worth it if it worked out like that.

You have a set of saleen sway bars?

::edit::

Nevermind. Thought I read you had all those parts in the pic. I'm about ready for some sway bars on the cent.

I sure would love to find one of those XP8 rear spoiler at a good price. :rolleyes:

I sure would love to find one of those XP8 rear spoiler at a good price. :rolleyes:

The Explorer Saleen rear wing is the most wanted XP8 part. That's very easy to sell, I think they made more of those than anything else. The production ended and the molds were destroyed very shortly after the 2001 models came out. There were very few spare parts made, so most to be found is on vehicles now.

You have a set of saleen sway bars?

::edit::

Nevermind. Thought I read you had all those parts in the pic. I'm about ready for some sway bars on the cent.

You should get started on your sway bars soon. Those make the most difference in handling, and the 95-97's have hollow front bars. So you need to upgrade both. The Explorer Express rear bar was the best, but any aftermarket version is a huge improvement over the very small stock part. The EE bar does great with the OEM rubber end links. Any of the others would do very well by upgrading the end links to urethane.

There's a link recently for a small bar(OEM) end link kit, from ES(great brand); Rear Sway Bar-Endlink Bushings - 19 mm | Ford Explorer I would ask ES if they have other sizes, to hopefully fit the other brand rear sway bars.

I have the EE rear bar that is bigger than all others, and the huge Addco front bar. When you push the sizes up so much, it's time to balance the bushing materials, mix in some rubber to soften the ride etc. I haven't driven my Mercury enough to get the front right yet, it's very stiff given the 1.5" bar, and "B" torsion bars. I don't recommend that combination with urethane end links. I think rubber end links might be my next step for that truck, and then adapt it to my 98 Limited(my new best truck). My Mercury is just spare work truck now.

To upgrade the 95-96 front bar, I think swapping to the 98-01 bar will work. The 95-97's mount on the vertical part of the frame, the 98's to the bottom of the frame. The bars are located in the same place, it's just that the frame mounting bracket has to work out. I think you just use the same frame bracket you have, I'm not positive, it's just that nobody posts the changes they made. That's only been done(posted about) a few times over 15 years I've been on the forums.

Back