Repairs so far. 1 year ownership next month | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repairs so far. 1 year ownership next month

Tazoez

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Base
So in the appx year of ownership on my 2016 explorer base I have put 12k miles and have had to do the following repairs (not complaining since warranty covered all).
Hood replaced for free due to the corrosion bubbles.
Turbo wastegate actuator (no CEL at all with no boost.. kinda odd)
Water pump
Dead battery due to auto headlights not fully turning off (mini side markers in the head lights. My daughter who can miss the broad side of a barn on a clear day noticed them during a sunny day... how I have no idea)
And today I get a call from the dealership saying my P.T.U. is shot. I brought it in because I thought a bushing or link went bad on the passenger side front since everytime I go over a rough road it makes a thunk thunk thunk noise.
I had no indication that the P.T.U. went bad.
Still have a slight knock in the motor that they say is normal ( technician says to open her up to 5k once a month to "clean her out") and delay in shifting which I'm going to go out with tech to show. He didnt notice it but with the dealer being in urban area they may not open her up to get it more noticable (bring her up to 5k rpm and it's like driving a manual shifting 2 to 3)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your current mileage? That sucks to hear you had all of those issues.

I test drove 1 Taurus SHO and 5 Explorer sports and 3/6 of the vehicles had some kind of turbo maintenance. All of those vehicles with the maintenance done had absolutely no boost and I was told that there was no issues. Makes sense if the waste gate wasn't working correctly and not throwing a code that the dealerships "trust their mechanics" more than a customer who is very familiar with cars and working on them. They didn't drive them, they just put it on a code reader and nothing came up.

What is your current mileage? That sucks to hear you had all of those issues.

I test drove 1 Taurus SHO and 5 Explorer sports and 3/6 of the vehicles had some kind of turbo maintenance. All of those vehicles with the maintenance done had absolutely no boost and I was told that there was no issues. Makes sense if the waste gate wasn't working correctly and not throwing a code that the dealerships "trust their mechanics" more than a customer who is very familiar with cars and working on them. They didn't drive them, they just put it on a code reader and nothing came up.
51k even.
As I said not complaining because warranty is picking up the tab, but I'd like to go atleast a year or two without a major failure.

And yes, I still notice a difference between mine every other EcoBoost I drive. Sounds like mine is barely boosting.

Sounds like a vehicle that might benefit from an Extended Warranty. ;)

Peter

LOL . Oh yeah.. 8 years 100k from when I bought the car. Bumper to bumper and zero deductible
Sounds like a vehicle that might benefit from an Extended Warranty. ;)

Peter

Attachments

• Resized_20200713_194743.jpeg
    Resized_20200713_194743.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 133

Holy smokes! Your Explorer seems to have so many of the issues we dread as owners. What are the chances🤔

Update... both control arm bushings were making the front end noise. And the dealership finally tested the transmission. Slipping in "grade A" (dont know what that means) every 0.5 seconds by atleast 150 (I'm assuming rpms??). Torque converter on back order so I have to wait for that.
Good thing that the noise and the tach jumping was "all in my head" as one service advisor flat out told me (also told me at some point they gonna tell me to go else where. Funny thing is I am always polite and never raise my voice or use inappropriate language so I guess they just dont want to work on my car)

Back