Repalcing the Clutch Project Thread... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repalcing the Clutch Project Thread...

Nick26

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
Hey Everyone,
I'm replacing the clutch in my 99 explorer. It only has 90K miles on it but the slave cylinder is leaking like crazy and it got old refilling the clutch fluid resevoir every morning. So far everything has actually been pretty easy thanks to this forum and the several threads on it:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107024&highlight=clutch+replacement
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88380&highlight=clutch+replacement
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90482&highlight=clutch
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116597&highlight=clutch+replacement

I decided to go with a centerforce Dual Friction Clutch which i got from Summit racing for ~$280 (CTF-DF993993)
18100centerforce.jpg

drained both and pulled the t-case out:
18100img_1172.jpg

disconnected the hydraulic line flat head screwdriver, was suprisingly easier than i thought it would be after reading other peoples horror stories. gave up on trying to find the tool after no one had it in stock.
18100hydraulic_line-med.jpg

pulled off the shifter:
18100img_1152-med.jpg

got the tranny unbolted and out... it actually wasn't nearly as heavy as i was thinking it would be, maybe only like ~70lbs. I didn't have to take the exhaust Y-Pipe off because of my body lift, and I think the body lift made it easier pretty much all around for getting bolts out.
18100img_1164.jpg

the culprit:
18100img_1166.jpg

here is the new clutch side by side with the old one, looks like there is just about the same amount of material on both. Think probably could have continued to use this clutch for another 30K+ miles? not that i would anyway since i have it all apart now and ofcourse i want to upgrade it.
18100img_1178.jpg

Does this need to be resurfaced? I don't feel any ridges, the only thing i can feel is the change in texture as i move my finger over the contact part onto the part thats not touching anything...
18100img_1174.jpg

And thats where im at now, Monday I'm going to pick up the new slave cylinder and pilot bearing and as soon as I get that I'll start installing stuff. Let me know if you have any questions.

link to more pictures: http://nickdeubert.tech.nu/pictures/indexes/10-13-clutch.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would get that resurfaced

boominXplorer said:
i would get that resurfaced
What makes you say that? How can I tell? What kind of shops will do it, probably only a tranny shop or can just about any shop?

any good shop will. Ay time you change a clutch its always a good idea to get it done. It wont cost much and it could save that new clutch from burning up quick. Do you have an impact? Those 8 bolts will be a PITA if you dont

You should resurface! It rids any burned spots and makes a clean mating surface. Just like turning rotors to maximise stopping power, resurface a flyweel everytime you replace a clutch. It should be close to $20.00 at a machine shop. It will let you know if you flywheel is within tolerances as well. What if you have hairline cracks from overheating throughout your flywheel and it decinegrated while driving! Just a worst case scenario!

boominXplorer said:
any good shop will. Ay time you change a clutch its always a good idea to get it done. It wont cost much and it could save that new clutch from burning up quick. Do you have an impact? Those 8 bolts will be a PITA if you dont

nah all i have is a 18" breaker bar... im going to have to look for a 6 point starred socket then to for those unusual heads...

Have that resurfaced, there is NO excuse, it only costs about $20, and will create a new surface for the clutch disc to set with.

Sure would like to see pictures of your dash and console arrangement, seen the A/C control knobs have been relocated, would just like to see why and what the rest of the dash looks like.

Thanx.

Jeff - :navajo:

SVO said:
Sure would like to see pictures of your dash and console arrangement, seen the A/C control knobs have been relocated, would just like to see why and what the rest of the dash looks like. Thanx. Jeff - :navajo:

haha, that was a whole other project... i used a really small motherboard and built my own center console to house the whole computer, dvd, 20gb hdd, RF remote receiver... then replaced the factory cdplayer location with a 6.5inch LCD, then put an aftermarket cd player where the heating controls were and removed the ashtray and bottom panel and built the panel you see here to hold the heat controls, 12v outlet, power switch and power LED. I run crux linux on it all for customizability and speed.

theres a ton more pictures here: http://65.96.84.214/old/explorer.html
heres some older pictures but the console is still the same.. http://65.96.84.214/old/pictures/04-03-2003/images.html
a pic...

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 4,998

That's down right awsome!!!

I love it, thanx for sharing all the pics and write up!

P.S. this is Classic:

11'20'02
Kevin instructing us on how to pull my car out of the mud: "Just don't back forwards!"

Jeff - :navajo:

haha, yeah you can always count on him to say something retarded...

Also just wanted to update and say that I got the clutch all done and it was relatively easy thanks to all the info/help I found on here! Just in time too cause today we got our first snow. I took it for a test drive and everything seems to be running great. Basically the only thing that gave me trouble was the starter cause I screwed up and didn't disconnect the battery when i left it hanging there and something shorted i suppose and screwed up the solenoid which in turn drained the battery too, but a new starter and a jump and i was back in business.

It's tough to tell how this clutch feels compared to my old one because ive been driving around my mustang for the past 2 months and its a big switch in general getting used to it again. I'll report back on how i like the clutch after i get a few more miles on it.

here are a few pics i hadn't gotten around to posting:

the freshly resurfaced flywheel, now i see why everyone said to get this done, it looks like brand new afterwards:
18100fresh_cut_flywheel.jpg

the new slave cylinder installed:
18100new_slave_installed.jpg

the rear plate/seal of the engine (sideways):
18100rear_of_engine.jpg

the new clutch and pressure plate all installed, one of the downsides of not buying a kit was that i didn't get a clutch alignment tool and i had to improvise with a dowel and ducttape (no autoparts stores had them nor said they could get them)... but it all worked out pretty good anyway.
18100clutch_installed.jpg

Excellant work as always Nick... I'm betting you're glad you resurface the flywheel; it looks clean enought to eat off of.

Back