Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

proradvlx

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT AWD
OK, need some help, am I missing a step.

Followed this thread, which is fantastic: How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

I've gotten to the point where I have the old actuator out, and put the new one ( new MotorCraft part ), hooked up the wiring, turned the key on, switch to vent, changed dial from cold to hot, shaft does not move. Put the old one back on, hooked up the wiring, turned the temp dial, shaft moves....... So, maybe thinking the new one is bad... Today went to auto parts store, bought a new Dorman actuator.... Went through same process, same results, shaft did not move... but old one does..... ??? Am I missing a step along here somewhere??? I'm thinking two new actuators cannot both be bad. Thanks for any help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, need some help, am I missing a step.

Followed this thread, which is fantastic: How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

I've gotten to the point where I have the old actuator out, and put the new one ( new MotorCraft part ), hooked up the wiring, turned the key on, switch to vent, changed dial from cold to hot, shaft does not move. Put the old one back on, hooked up the wiring, turned the temp dial, shaft moves....... So, maybe thinking the new one is bad... Today went to auto parts store, bought a new Dorman actuator.... Went through same process, same results, shaft did not move... but old one does..... ??? Am I missing a step along here somewhere??? I'm thinking two new actuators cannot both be bad. Thanks for any help!!!
whats the pn for the parts? i have heard of different pns for different ones before but iirc that was the 02s that had the oddball since many systems said 02 since the 02 sport was basically a 2nd gen

whats the pn for the parts? i have heard of different pns for different ones before but iirc that was the 02s that had the oddball since many systems said 02 since the 02 sport was basically a 2nd gen
#1: Motorcraft YH-1743-1X 1L2Z-19E616-BA ---- Ordered this one online, it has the same number cast into the body of the unit as the factory one: SAE PA6 GF30. Paper tag on other side has: 2L2H-a9E616-AA & 264 11117211. #2: Dorman 604-213... Checking the Dorman web site, the 604-213 shows as "auxiliary" ... and has a different number for the "main" controller.. Still does not answer why the Motorcraft unit did not work.......

I'm thinking the Motorcraft part was faulty, and the Dorman was possibly the wrong part. Other than that, if you're installing it when the dial is in the proper position, it should work.

I'm thinking the Motorcraft part was faulty, and the Dorman was possibly the wrong part. Other than that, if you're installing it when the dial is in the proper position, it should work.
Still not sure why the Motorcraft part did not work, but spoke with a parts tech from Dorman...... For a "normal" single zone front controller, the Dorman part number is 604-209!! The 604-213 is for the rear air controller. The 604-209 is in, works perfectly, no more "click click click"!! Getting to this part is a true challenge, and BigRondo's posting of removal and replacement was a life saver. The other saver is a 8mm box end ratchet wrench - makes getting the screws back in ( I won't say easy ) but quicker!

Back