replace side and spider gears as set? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replace side and spider gears as set?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that is correct, if going perfectly straight on a perfectly flat road, the spiders won't turn. Now imagine that when one wheel drops into a pothole (or bump) or something of that sort, one wheel will have to travel faster momentarily to catch up with the other, (or you would have wheel hop). The spiders turn more than you may think. Every slight correction you make in the steering wheel, every bump, every turn no matter how slight the spiders turn a little and will make noise.

Yes, that is all true. My noise is even when on a highway in a straight line, so it must be bearings. Its not real bad, I hear it, but passengers dont notice it. It sounds like I have a set of snow tires on. I put in Redline 75W140 at 178,000 km, and I suspect it may last the life of the truck, as it has not gotten any worse.

Once the bearings make noises that you can hear, the bearing is telling you that it is not long for this world. No oil or lubricant is going to change that or spin back the hands of time. I can see running it until it really dies, but it wont last the life of the truck unless the differential dying is the last nail in the coffin.

I had a 1980 Dodge Van that started to make a rear end howl around 75,000 miles. Had it in the shop and the tech pulled the diff cover off and the ring gear and pinion was all pitted. He said we can fix it now and pay the $, or just drive it until you can't stand the noise anymore. New fluid was put in and I drove it another 80,000 miles until I sold it for $1000. The noise did get worse over time, but at that age is was not worth bothering with an old van anyway.

My Ex has not gotten any worse since I put in the 75W140 50,000 KM ago. I am keeping it for another 50,000 kilometers at the most. It is making much less noise than the Dodge ever did, so I am not expecting to have to take the diff apart. Time will tell...

Back