• Register Today It's free!

changing spider gears

dfresh65

Reaction score
City, State
sb california
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
i need to replace the spider gears in my rearend its a 92 xlt. i have a manual but it doesnt show anything on how to do it, does anyone know the steps i need to take to change them? also do i need to take out the carrier or can i get the spider gears out with the carrier still instaled?

thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...welcome here...if you search there are several writeups how to work on your carrier...:D

thanks, i tried doing searches and i couldnt find much on the spider gears maybe im searching the wrong thing??

the spider gears are the two small ones in the diff what you should change is the ring and pinion gears

i already have a new ring and pinion on it but my spider gears are worn/broken so i need to replace them

hey 410 thank that helped alot, i guess the only question now is can i get the spider gears out without pulling the carrier out?

How do you know the spider gears needs to be replaced? Has one of them shattered?

But if you need to remove the spider gears, assuming you're talking about the Ford 8.8 axle, and assuming you have an open carrier (as opposed to a limited slip), and :)D) assuming you dont have very thick gears due to numerically high ratios (4.38's and up i think), then all you need to do is remove the long (but small) bolt that holds the main pin onto the carrier. Then you jack up the rearr axle so that you can rotate the two rear tires as rotating these two tires (opposite from one another; one tire rotates forward, the other backwards) should kick the one of the two vertical spider gears out of the assembly. To get to the other one, rotate in the opposite direction. If you also need to replace the side spider gears that are splined to the axle shafts, then remove the C-clips on the axle shafts and they should slide right out. If you have the Limited Slip carrier, then you will need to deal with the center preload spring which is a challenge to work with. And if you have thick gears (high ratios), then you will need to remove the carrier from the housing as the ring gear needs to be removed before the center pin in the carrier can be removed (the ring gear prevents the pin from coming out).

thanks IZ ya one of them shattered, and it is a 8.8 with an open diff i have 4.56 gears in it so i guess it has to come out....... do i have to worry about the back lash if i take it out? or is it just pull it out and remember where all the shims went and put it back the same?

thanks again

Looks like you pretty much understand everything -- the blacklash wont change as long as you put everything back in their original position including the shims and carrier bearing caps. BTW If you've never removed the axle shafts before: because the center pin can not be removed due to the thick ring gear (which would otherwise allow the axle shaft to be pushed in), the main pin on the high ratio 8.8s are typically notched in the center so you can push one axle shaft in and get the C-clip out. You can only push one axle shaft in at a time as the pin is only notched on one side so once you get one axle shaft out, rotate the center pin 180 degrees (with pliers?) to move on to the other axle shaft.

alright i think im ready to get to work now thanks for all the help

Back