Replace side view lighted mirrors with convex inserts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace side view lighted mirrors with convex inserts

SteveAZ

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Lincoln Corsair
I have tried to get used to the warning lights in the side view mirrors but they are not safe. In the last week or two I've nearly been sideswiped by high speed freeway traffic. When I looked in the driver side mirror the light was not on. I signaled and as I moved left the light came on and I got flipped the bird. Enough said about that except we drive after dark frequently on a two lane road the the right side mirror keep flashing as we pass guard rails and trees.

So, I went to Ford parts and discovered non-limited mirrors with the convex inserts are available...$117 for the driver....$130 for the passenger side. According to the parts guy they just pop out. Haven't verified that with the body shop but what concerns me is whether I can leave the lights inside the housing. I'm sure that if I disconnect the lights the computer will either drive me nuts with warnings or the car won't even work.

Any feedback is appreciated. I know I can solve my problem with a couple of stick on mirrors but I do like the mirror inserts and have never liked tacky accessories.

Thanks,
Sharin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also would like to see a convex mirror, WITH the BS light still available AND the mirror being tinted blue like VW or BMW does. The latter would be an easy DIY and most likely will be for me in the near future as I've always enjoyed this during night time driving on my previous cars. But It would be nice to see an oem mirror that could replace the original, having these functions.

Mine works flawlessly. I drive on a three lane highway to work everyday and the only time the light will not come on is if a car merges into the lane next to me after it is basically side by side with me. To my knowledge it's only designed to detect cars on the back side/corner of the car (blind spot). You weren't very descriptive of your situation so it's hard to tell if you had a malfunction or the situation is similar to what I described above.

I find the system to be very helpful. It allows you to not spend as much time looking in your mirror or actually turning your head around. To me it saves valuable time not looking forward in case a car slams on their brakes.

So instead of replacing the mirrors, why don't you just turn off the bliss? I think that you can do it from the settings menu on the left side display.

For broheim, I agree that they work flawlessly. However there are times when the lights will not activate soon enough. I'm driving on eight lane freeway with traffic speeds of 80 or better. A vehicle pacing you can easily be identified but if a car is approaching at a high rate of speed you can get killed by trusting the light. He's back 50 feet or so, outside the sensor range and by the time you make a move you're in trouble.

For XBR. I'm trying to find a solution, not get myself killed. Turning off the bliss will do nothing but make me totally unaware of traffic in the huge blind spot in the EX. I had a 2010 MKX with the convex mirrors and they worked just fine.

Also, I might be wrong but I think you can turn the bliss off but once you restart the car it resets itself.

i'm sure you'd like to keep your vehicle look as stock as possible....but here's an option to keep BLIS and have a convex mirror..you can get one of the add on mirrors

49304_50.jpg

http://www.etrailer.com/Mirrors/CIPA/49304.html?feed=npn&gclid=CKLRgIXUhq0CFWyCtgodm0uVSQ

BlueLion, Very funny. That sucker is 4" wide. Sure would fit the bill on a super cab, super ugly on an Limited.

well i wasn't specifically saying that particular one...but you get the picture. just get a clip on one and have both features....

BLIS Replacement Solved

Well, it's been more than a year since I began the search for a way to do away with the BLIS system. I finally decided to make a go of replacing just the driver-side mirror and I'm happy with the result.

The BLIS light on the driver side ought to be outlawed by DOT as a potential killer. It triggers when it shouldn't and doesn't work when it counts. Cars driving on the freeway at a speed above your own trigger the light too late, and sometimes the light is triggered by the shrubs on the island in the middle of the road when no car is present. Anyway, I could never get a response from Ford, or from this forum so I bought the $117 driver mirror, pried the BLIS mirror off and replaced it with the standard convex mirror available on the basic Explorer model.

If you've been troubled by the BLIS this fix works. Just take your time. Position the mirror so you can get to the snaps on the back side. A screwdriver with a narrow blade will pop the mirror. Check the back of the replacement mirror to see how it attaches. Though no one responded to my concern that disconnecting the BLIS light would fault the computer, I discovered I could leave it connected. Unsnap it from the mirror, coil it up and tuck it inside the mirror housing. Then just snap the new mirror in place. DONE!

What a relieve to be able to see the traffic in the lane beside me. Driving on the freeway is much easier now that I can really see the traffic around me. And it wasn't necessary to replace the passenger mirror. It works fine and the BLIS system continues to function as it should.

Sharin :salute:

Our 2009 Edge had the convex mirror option from the factory and I really liked it.

Though BLIS works pretty well, I still don't rely 100% on it. I go back and forth on sticking one on there to have the best of both worlds.

Technology is great and all but don't people do shoulder checks anymore?

Technology is great and all but don't people do shoulder checks anymore?

The only thing I see when I look over my shoulder is a huge pillar that hides the blind spot. :mad:

The only thing I see when I look over my shoulder is a huge pillar that hides the blind spot. :mad:
I have always used those 2" stick-on convex mirrors even though I have the BLIS. Have used them for about 40 years.
Total cost I think was about $7 for the pair. They even let you see the rear wheels which is handy for parking if you don't use the Park Assist feature.

Peter

Attachments

• PB080258a.jpg
    PB080258a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 854

Peter, thanks for the post. I tried a couple of the stick on mirrors but for some reason I couldn't focus on each mirror with it becoming a distraction. They did work but my brain just wouldn't program to make good use of both mirrors. The larger convex mirror built into the mirror doesn't seem to cause the same reaction. Just me I'd guess but it is really a great relief to be able to safely monitor traffic around me without having to depend on the BLIS. It still works on the passenger side but that mirror is fully convex so the BLIS light doesn't matter. I still disable the light at night when I'm driving on a two lane road because trees and guard rails trigger the BLIS. For sure, our next X will not have BLIS.:)

Regards,
Sharin

I have always used those 2" stick-on convex mirrors even though I have the BLIS. Have used them for about 40 years.
Total cost I think was about $7 for the pair. They even let you see the rear wheels which is handy for parking if you don't use the Park Assist feature.

Peter

I have the same setup on my Ex.
My wife's RAV4 has three inch mirrors which she says is easier to focus on.

The bliss system is only an aid. You cannot rely solely on it and not actually check the mirrors.

The rest of the world typically uses convex mirrors.

Two questions:

Is the current model Explorer sold anywhere else in the world?

Are any other model mirrors the same as the Explorer?

The rest of the world typically uses convex mirrors.

Two questions:

Is the current model Explorer sold anywhere else in the world?

Are any other model mirrors the same as the Explorer?
Yes, we have members in the Caribbean, Russia, Europe and South America. I may have missed some others as well.
I don't know for sure about the mirrors but would guess they are all the same.

Peter

That is a great way to set them up and I have also seen that suggested on Motoring 2013, a 1/2 hour weekly car show here.
If you don't want to use that setup, the one I have with the added 2" convex mirrors works just as well. I seldom have to do a shoulder check but still do once in a while depending upon the situation. The added feature of the stick-on mirrors I have is that because of where I placed them, I can actually see the rear wheels on both sides which is handy for parking when not using the Active Park Assist. That would not be the case with the adjustments suggested in the link.
Beside that, I have been using them for 50 years so I guess I'm too 'old school' to change.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, we have members in the Caribbean, Russia, Europe and South America. I may have missed some others as well.
I don't know for sure about the mirrors but would guess they are all the same.

Thank you. I will try to explore the Russian route to see what their mirror glass parts are.
On most vehicles sold in Europe or elsewhere convex mirrors on both sides are standard safety equipment. In the US we have a regulation for flat mirrors on the driver's side.
I see that the Russian site indicates BLIS is available, and I am guessing they must have a Convex BLIS mirror glass available.

I do also agree with the point that you should be able to set your mirrors up regardless, but tell that to my DW and many other drivers out there!

Back