replace TCC & OD solenoids while VB still attached to A4LD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replace TCC & OD solenoids while VB still attached to A4LD?

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, because of a keeper that holds the 3/4 solenoid in place and also helps hold the TCC solenoid in place you have to remove the VB to replace the solenoids.

Duh. I forgot that the metal 'slide in thing' slides UP when you have the VB off; which would mean up INTO the transmission if the VB was still in place. Not possible. Thanks for the reminder.

Somewhat related question: Is it acceptable to reuse the valve body gaskets, or should they be replaced each time the valve body is removed? How about the gasket on the low/reverse servo cover?

In reverse order, the Low Reverse Servo cover gasket is most cases is in good shape and can be reused a majority of the time. Replacement is cheap though.

As for Valve Body gaskets I will start with saying NO. And then add that if they are just a few months old (like you had just been in there and had to go back in) in that case it is probably ok. I'd hesitate to give any blanket endorsement though, and replacement here is under $8 for the pair.

The thicker ones are a little better, so it might be possible if they are only a few months old. Like Glacier said, they are cheap enough to just put new ones in, so why take a chance having to do the job over again over a used gasket? It is very important to torque the bolts properly with an in. lbs wrench to avoid problems like hydraulic pressure leaks, shifting problems, etc. Some people have reused bands that broke only a few months after a rebuild. For the price of the band, it isn't worth the effort, and cost having to remove the transmission, and dismantle it again.

Back