Replace Turbos in Pairs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace Turbos in Pairs?

Gregor_42

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello All,

I took my Explorer Sport in for lack of power and a whining noise. They came back today and told me it has a bad turbo due to oil starvation from a bad oil separator. It has 83k and the extended warranty is covering everything.

My question is, should both turbos be required to be replaced? I am being told from the dealer that no, only the one needs replacing but it has always been my understanding that in a twin turbo set up, if one turbo fails, they should both be replaced. My worry is that if the one turbo was starved of oil to the point of failure, wouldn't the other turbo be in the same situation? My warranty expires at 109k and I feel I am going to be driving a time bomb.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

without looking at the oil plumbing and checking your other turbo out first hand - I would say no. I'm fairly certain ford's setup on the ecoboost is for each turbo to be oiled from separate sides of the block - thus the oil doesn't go from one turbo to the other.

So it's feasible the only issues were on one side. I would however want them to take off the other turbo and at least test it. usually there is a procedure where with turbo in hand can be tested either by spinning the rotor with some many in-oz of torque or some flow bench sort of test to insure it meets spec.

But there should be a check for it - and visual inspection is also equally in order. SO it nothing else you'd want them to have taken it off and inspected it.

But on the surface there isn't really a reason why one failure should connect to the other if it's oil starvation. YOu might however want them to check/test the oil system of the whole engine though.

Hello All,

I took my Explorer Sport in for lack of power and a whining noise. They came back today and told me it has a bad turbo due to oil starvation from a bad oil separator. It has 83k and the extended warranty is covering everything.

My question is, should both turbos be required to be replaced? I am being told from the dealer that no, only the one needs replacing but it has always been my understanding that in a twin turbo set up, if one turbo fails, they should both be replaced. My worry is that if the one turbo was starved of oil to the point of failure, wouldn't the other turbo be in the same situation? My warranty expires at 109k and I feel I am going to be driving a time bomb.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't think this issue (turbo failure) has come up before. Good luck.

Peter

without looking at the oil plumbing and checking your other turbo out first hand - I would say no. I'm fairly certain ford's setup on the ecoboost is for each turbo to be oiled from separate sides of the block - thus the oil doesn't go from one turbo to the other.

So it's feasible the only issues were on one side. I would however want them to take off the other turbo and at least test it. usually there is a procedure where with turbo in hand can be tested either by spinning the rotor with some many in-oz of torque or some flow bench sort of test to insure it meets spec.

But there should be a check for it - and visual inspection is also equally in order. SO it nothing else you'd want them to have taken it off and inspected it.

But on the surface there isn't really a reason why one failure should connect to the other if it's oil starvation. YOu might however want them to check/test the oil system of the whole engine though.

Right and I asked to make sure that the other turbo was not affected. They told me after that they will do a road test and other checks to make sure everything is working correctly. What worries me though is even if things seem to be working, the turbo bearings could have been scored from lack of oil and still work properly for now. I will have them double check to make sure the oiling system has not been affected beyond just the one turbo failure.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't think this issue (turbo failure) has come up before. Good luck.

Peter
Thanks! I have done a bunch of research to see if there has been anything else and couldn't come up with anything.

I could have sworn that replacing turbos in pairs was a requirement, especially in a twin turbo setup.

Back